Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of fitting cruise control to my 1991 240. I was hoping to get
all Volvo original the parts (from eBay or similar) as I have heard that all
240's were pre-wired to accept the various bits, can anybody confirm this?

What parts do I need? Obviously the column stalk and the 'brain', is there
anything else? I have a wiring diagram but as yet I haven't seen any
physical parts so am unsure as to the mechanical connections that may be
needed.

Thanks,
Dave
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"D. Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm thinking of fitting cruise control to my 1991 240. I was hoping to
> get all Volvo original the parts (from eBay or similar) as I have
> heard that all 240's were pre-wired to accept the various bits, can
> anybody confirm this?
>
> What parts do I need? Obviously the column stalk and the 'brain', is
> there anything else? I have a wiring diagram but as yet I haven't seen
> any physical parts so am unsure as to the mechanical connections that
> may be needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
>
>


Try your question at:

http://forum.svenska200klubben.se/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=
7fca5324c844da9540f090ae38e37e7d

Cheers,
henqui
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have fitted the cruise to my -86 240, but had to do all the wiring,
althoug that was pretty easy, if you have the harness for it.
You will need the brain and the column stalk, as you mention, but also:
* One or two vacuum/electric switches for brake and clutch pedal (if manual
trans).
* Vacuum pump
* Actuator for the throttle.
* A double "wheel" for the cruise and trottle wires.
I think the brackets for the brake and clutch switches is factory mounted,
and the wiring is as simple as connecting the live-feed to the fuse outlet
and ground the other one.
(Sorry for my bad english)

Per Mathisen
Norway


"D. Brown" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
news:[email protected]
> I'm thinking of fitting cruise control to my 1991 240. I was hoping to get
> all Volvo original the parts (from eBay or similar) as I have heard that
> all 240's were pre-wired to accept the various bits, can anybody confirm
> this?
>
> What parts do I need? Obviously the column stalk and the 'brain', is there
> anything else? I have a wiring diagram but as yet I haven't seen any
> physical parts so am unsure as to the mechanical connections that may be
> needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> I have fitted the cruise to my -86 240, but had to do all the wiring,
> althoug that was pretty easy, if you have the harness for it.
> You will need the brain and the column stalk, as you mention, but also:
> * One or two vacuum/electric switches for brake and clutch pedal (if
> manual trans).
> * Vacuum pump
> * Actuator for the throttle.
> * A double "wheel" for the cruise and trottle wires.
> I think the brackets for the brake and clutch switches is factory mounted,
> and the wiring is as simple as connecting the live-feed to the fuse outlet
> and ground the other one.
> (Sorry for my bad english)
>
> Per Mathisen
> Norway
>

Per, thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Do you have any idea what the vacuum unit does? I presume it's some sort of
servo so the brain can control the physical position of the throttle?

Do you know how the brain knows the cars speed? I've never delved too deeply
into the electronics on these later fuel injected 240's, but I'd imagine I
would need some sort of speed sensor?

Thanks again,
Dave
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vacuum unit controls the pressure to the servo-actuator via a flexible
tube.
The "Brain" knows the cars speed from an electric connector back on the
speedometer-unit on all -86 and newer models. I think the older ones have an
converter connected to the speedometer-wire that make impulses the brain
uses to calculate speed.

Per Mathisen
Norway
-86 245 GLT V8
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> The vacuum unit controls the pressure to the servo-actuator via a flexible
> tube.
> The "Brain" knows the cars speed from an electric connector back on the
> speedometer-unit on all -86 and newer models. I think the older ones have
> an converter connected to the speedometer-wire that make impulses the
> brain uses to calculate speed.
>


Per, thanks again for all your help. I'll try and find all the parts from
salvage yards and make up a kit. I believe the 700 series of that era will
use similar components so finding one shouldn't be too hard.

> -86 245 GLT V8


V8!? Cool.... what block are you using?
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I belive a lot of the components are identical on both 200 and 700, and
some even on Saab.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-760-740-780-240-SAAB-900-HELLA-Vacuum-Pump-12v-NR_W0QQitemZ8029254375QQcategoryZ33626QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This pump is identical to mine.

I use a small-block Chevrolet 350 with a TPI injection unit, aftermarket
Haltech computer and a TH700 automatic.
It runs pretty good :)

Good luck hunting parts.

Per Mathisen
Norway


"D. Brown" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
news:[email protected]
>> The vacuum unit controls the pressure to the servo-actuator via a
>> flexible tube.
>> The "Brain" knows the cars speed from an electric connector back on the
>> speedometer-unit on all -86 and newer models. I think the older ones have
>> an converter connected to the speedometer-wire that make impulses the
>> brain uses to calculate speed.
>>

>
> Per, thanks again for all your help. I'll try and find all the parts from
> salvage yards and make up a kit. I believe the 700 series of that era will
> use similar components so finding one shouldn't be too hard.
>
>> -86 245 GLT V8

>
> V8!? Cool.... what block are you using?
>
>
>
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
1 Participant
Per Mathisen
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top