Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what was needed to get 200kw at the wheels out of a 250crossflow

i was thinking porting the crap out of an xf efi head, redline manifold with 450 holley, high comp acl pistons, roller rockers, matching cam, 2 1/2" exhaust ( 1 muffler)

i would rather not go efi because i dont like dealing with the computers in cars

how would a t5 box cope with the power.
 

·
Ford Appreciation Society
Joined
·
3,666 Posts
AIT did a turbo kit for the XE 250 crossflow motor... There were 2-3 levels, with the biggie being 200kw (fly) and efi.

You should be able to get the 200kw goal by going turbo a lot more cost effective than naturally aspirated...

The t-5 should be able to hold the power (provided you get the right t-5).

How drivable do you need the car to be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Ruger said:
i was wondering what was needed to get 200kw at the wheels out of a 250crossflow

i was thinking porting the crap out of an xf efi head, redline manifold with 450 holley, high comp acl pistons, roller rockers, matching cam, 2 1/2" exhaust ( 1 muffler)

i would rather not go efi because i dont like dealing with the computers in cars

how would a t5 box cope with the power.
There is no way that these specs will get you anywhere near 200kw at the wheels. Your talking the same flywheel KW as the new quad cam XR8 engine!

An efi turbo setup will get you there though.

What have you done already and how much money are you spending?

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willing to spend about 5k on the engine (not inc diff and box). more if need be

car is stock atm
 

·
Ford Appreciation Society
Joined
·
3,666 Posts
Is the car going to be a weekend cruiser, strip car or a daily driver??
 

·
Chasing 500rwkw
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
EFI or LPG is the easiest way but it can be done with petrol carby's as well.
Id say for $5000 you would easy get a turbo setup for 200kws. Keep checking the trading post there is something in there every other week.
 

·
Whats traction?
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
It would be near impossible to get a x-flow close to 150 NA rwkw for $5000 even if you did everything yourself.

Turbo you may have a chance but its still not cheap. If you don't build the engine to deal with the bost then keep $500 close for when your stock bottom end lets go. This is what my mate did, standard engine = 6 months @ 7psi. Then he replaced the block and sold it. But the car wasn't that quick in all honesty.

All turbos need a engineers certificate, LPG is the easiest way to do it. Personally i'd go an 8 unless your really serious about doing the turbo right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
There was one at the summernats that did 240rwhp.

At that required power level you would need a MINIMUM of a 650 Holley dp. You would need to run a really big solid lifter cam and then rev the motor some and then some more again. A large cam won't run right on the 4160 series carbys.

In order to do that power level you would compression, about 10.5:1. A solid lifter cam with at least 235 degrees. Lots of porting, probably some combustion chamber reshaping and welding, larger valves. Also you may be required to cut back the tops of the bores to deshroud the valves some. And then the Killer would be a set of tripple 45mm Webers (prefer 48mm). Big custom extractors with longer pipes and a single 3" exhaust.

The level of porting required would be extensive. For example a Hemi 265 head ported flows up to 380hp, 400hp if the porter is really good. The Hemi 265 head std is already flows better.

Then to run this optimally would require 3.9 gears at a minimum.

Why not go turbo??

Also the biggest problem with a turbo carby is you can't make the advance curve go backwards without a lot of work. When you lock the advance the car feels dopey off boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
xdc351 said:
It would be near impossible to get a x-flow close to 150 NA rwkw for $5000 even if you did everything yourself.
My friend and I did 133rwkw with a Hemi 6 in a Commodore for $1100 in total. Thats is the total cost for the whole conversion and mod plate, including the 3" stainless steel exhaust with Edelbrock RPM muffler.

If we changed the cam to suit NA not blowers and didn't decompress the motor we would be very close. Also the motor did that power with lipped bores.

If we can do that much power ourselves for $1100 I reckon we could do a X-flow to do 150rwkw easy for $3000 with a rebuild.
 

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
u can buy a turbo kit for around the $1500, get urself a decomp plate for $150, run it on str8 gas, and u should be able to get 200kw at the wheels, my mates old xf had 238kw at the wheels with a 600 holley, std motor
 

·
Whats traction?
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
not ford said:
My friend and I did 133rwkw with a Hemi 6 in a Commodore for $1100 in total. Thats is the total cost for the whole conversion and mod plate, including the 3" stainless steel exhaust with Edelbrock RPM muffler.

If we changed the cam to suit NA not blowers and didn't decompress the motor we would be very close. Also the motor did that power with lipped bores.

If we can do that much power ourselves for $1100 I reckon we could do a X-flow to do 150rwkw easy for $3000 with a rebuild.
I'd like to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
He and I are quite busy at the moment, he is currently working at Nemo Racing and I have just started a new job.

Here is a picture of the engine bay http://kalmaker.com.au/page59.html
Its the commodore with a hemi 6

and if you go to http://www.redcliffedyno.com/ and then got to the "shop top 10"
you will see him in 4th position in the naturaly aspirated class. It did this power with a 650 dp, he has now switched to Kalmaker in anticipation for boost.

If you want the dyno printout and photos you will have to wait a couple of days. He is actually trying to fit a pair of 1G-GZE blowers on by next week.
 

·
Fords biggest Freak
Joined
·
663 Posts
xf6250 said:
u can buy a turbo kit for around the $1500, get urself a decomp plate for $150, run it on str8 gas, and u should be able to get 200kw at the wheels, my mates old xf had 238kw at the wheels with a 600 holley, std motor
That's a pretty decent price. Anybody know of anyone in SA that will do a 250 X-flow turbo set-up?
 

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
freak, that $1500 was for a s/hand turbo kit
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top