Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im lookin at buying a panel van, trouble is im not sure what I want.
I was thinking an XG, but am also concidering doing up something a bit older like a HZ with a 253.

I know this is a ford forum, but heres my question;
How fuel efficent and reliable is a good 253 compared to say a 250X flow?, and what problems did the HZ's suffer?

All help would be great,

Pete.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I been told 253s have the power of a 6, with the fuel consumption of a 8. Dunno how true it is though. Sounds bout right :D

If u are looking at a XH or XG they should have the 4.0i engines,( unless somethings not right) which are much better than the 250s, and i assume the 253s.
The 4lts are pretty reliable, but really comes down to previous owners. Same with the other engines aswell

·
Registered
529 Posts
A 253 is a piece of shit, the only people who say they are good are the people that drive them. You can rebuild a 308 for the same price. You have to change the heads to 308 heads to get any power out of them and then you have to mill them to get the compression back and at the end of the day its wasted money.

The 250 sucks as efi, the system is more cruder than a abacus.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I would personally go for the 4.0i

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I agree with 'not ford', the 253 is a pretty dismal engine, and in fact the 250 I6 has been proven to be better.
The 4L OHC I6 will slaughter them both however, go for the XG/XH

Rick.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Ha! a 253 is call a POO53... reasons why are quoted as above! ^^^ :angel:

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
a vh 253 has got something like 80 kw or something? and the 250 out of the xe has got 90 kw.... u make the choice

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
MaD_WoG said:
a vh 253 has got something like 80 kw or something? and the 250 out of the xe has got 90 kw.... u make the choice
He would have a better chance of making the decision if anybody on here knew anything about the 253. The WB 253 was rated at 100kw neat. A 253 will kick the arse of a 250. Tuned correctly, it will return equal fuel economy. It gets hard to compete with a later model injected engine (the 4.0L) if you drive reasonably conservatively. If you sit on 115-120 or better either of the earlier engines will match or better the 4.0L for economy.
At the end of the day this is a FORD forum. Don't bother asking about other makes. You could have asked about comparative performance of a 350 chev vs a 221, and someone would have backed the 221.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
not ford said:
You have to change the heads to 308 heads to get any power out of them and then you have to mill them to get the compression back and at the end of the day its wasted money.
What a crock. 253 and 308 heads are IDENTICAL.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
I'm with WBT - the 253, if not an absolute ball-tearer, was still a solid engine and in most cases will kick a 250's arse (think torque, team)...

Fords rule, but being one-eyed doesn't...

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
WBT56 said:
He would have a better chance of making the decision if anybody on here knew anything about the 253. The WB 253 was rated at 100kw neat.
And this is impressive how? Throughout most of it's life the Ford 250 was rated above 110kw, and up to 120kw.
A 253 will kick the arse of a 250. Tuned correctly, it will return equal fuel economy. It gets hard to compete with a later model injected engine (the 4.0L) if you drive reasonably conservatively. If you sit on 115-120 or better either of the earlier engines will match or better the 4.0L for economy.
What a load of bollocks, the only area which the 253 had it over the 250 was in the way it revved. The 250 was never a revvy engine, but produced considerably more low and midrange torque than the 253, which in fact gave it better economy. Your comments make me think that you haven't ever driven 253 and 250 powered cars back to back.

I can't think of a factory 253 which will perform better than an equivalent factory 250.
At the end of the day this is a FORD forum. Don't bother asking about other makes. You could have asked about comparative performance of a 350 chev vs a 221, and someone would have backed the 221.
What a stupid thing to say......

Rick.

·
Registered
364 Posts
BlackSnakeEA said:
I'm with WBT - the 253, if not an absolute ball-tearer, was still a solid engine and in most cases will kick a 250's arse (think torque, team)...

Fords rule, but being one-eyed doesn't...
Does someone have the hard facts from modern motor mag (think that was the one), as they did a comparision between the efi X-flow (xe) and the 253(vh). Im pretty sure the xflow had more kw than the 253 and actually had MORE toque than the "solid" engine too. Im not 100% certain but i think the xe beat it to 100 and down the quarter.

The 253 had 100kw and 269Nm v's the 250 xflow 122kw and 333Nm (from www.drive.com.au)

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
k, i won;t dispute the figures... just going from personal experience driving x-flow XD/F's and a mate's 253 HZ sedan... maybe the difference is weight/gearing

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
as "not ford" said the only good things you here about the 253 is from the people that drive them... I had a 253 in a LH Torana years ago and the thing wouldn't pull the skin of custard, although it sounded like it was a rocket
There is a great Shakespearean Quote that in hindsight seems it was written with the 253 in mind "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"..
To put it in perspective no-one raves about the 3.3l X-flow or the 179 red motors because they are just a baby version of other factory available configurations..

The best thing about a 253 is the sound,, it has the V8 rumble but unfortunately not the mumbo to back it up

Stick with the 4.0l engine if you want factory power and refinement

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I probably didnt make myself that clear- Im looking for a panel van to do up, nice wheels, paint job, interior as well as maybe airbrushed shit on the sides - Thats the reason why I am concidering a HZ with a 253, they look awesome done up like this, and plus it has the note of a v8. And say if I picked one up for 2g's and spent 4-5g's on it, then it would be a pretty schmick ride - except, it would have an old 253 in it- I do alot of highway driving and city driving, and I need something which will be extremly reliable and relatively fuel efficient.

On the other hand, if i bought an XG, I would be left with a pretty reliable car, but with less of the character of a HZ.

Also, I know what the 250x flows drive like, and how they go against a 253, cause I currently own a manual XF.

Cheers guys

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
Cool idea, i like the fact that the oldies still get a luvin'... My only advice would be to put a 308 or 350 into the HG and run the baby on LPG.. You can pick up most of the kit for $500 and throw a gas reasearch carb on for another $500

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Tibbo, on my XF carb its got a duel fuel setup, could I take that and transfer it over without much hassle?

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
yes you shouldn't have much problem (tank, solenoids, convertor and filler should swap straight over.. You might have to shell out for new copper lines or at best reflange your existing ones,, The panel van might also need a different set of tank mounting brackets) Although a V8 with a 2 barrell carb (XF has a webber?,, and 253 were a Strommie I think? so im not sure the mixer would be interchangeable) and mixer plate setup would perhaps feel a little underpowered in a all steel p/van it wouldn't be an immediate problem... If you went for a gas research carby down the track u get HP and eco in one

·
Registered
364 Posts
For looks you cant go past the HZ pano with airbrushed graphics, nice paint and rims. An XG just wouldnt look right like this.

I like your idea of LPG for cheaper cruzin' ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts