Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
just wondering how to check if your clevo is a 2V or 4V... if there is a way of telling it would be great if you could help
peace

·
Banned
555 Posts
if it is in the car and u cant see the exhaust ports there will be a 4 stamped around the rocker cover bead on the outside edge of the cover inbetween the head and manifold.

There are other variations but this one is common, if the heads are off the car its easy to pick.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, just about to take some pics to show you i dont know wot u mean, maybe someone can see it by visualisation, host the pics in a sec

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

theres the pics of the covers, dont know how to tell, wouldnt have a clue :fraz:

(the old girls not in the best lookin nick, but should be rebuilt soon :wnc: )

·
Banned
555 Posts
ok where i have put the arrows there will be a rasied 4 it should be on the corner of the head where the roceker cover rounds of but head stays square.

·
Banned
555 Posts
unless you have after market or incorrect manifold in which case u need to look at the casting on the head

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
A red motor in a blue oval? The ultimate cardinal sin! Promise us you will paint it blue or anything but red when you do her up!
When you pull the heads off you may even find 4v valves in your 2v heads if someone has done her up

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hahaha sorry fellas my bad, when we pulled her out the first time she was blue, and my dad painted her read !!!!!! i didnt know what he was thinkin hehe, yeh when i get the heads done and 351 crank shaft in ill be sure to paint her blue again :wnc:

edit: it was originally an auto and has been cylinder bored 20 thou? something like that, somone told me that the 2v's had lower compression which suited the autos better?

·
Banned
555 Posts
incorrect 2v's came in high and low compression ( open and closed chamber)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well fair enough, but i thought the auto's had the lower compression? someone told me sumthin like that anyways

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I am with brenden, I think it's a 2v because of the exhaust manifold. Whilst it is possible that someone put 2v manifolds on 4V heads on it it's not likely.
351s with 2Vs only had open chamber .. the closed chamber 2Vs came on 302s only. 4Vs generally were closed chamber but I have heard (unconfirmed) stories that some had open chamber 4Vs but given the scenario at the time I don't reckon they came that way from the factory.
Auto 4V XBs had open chamber 2V heads..early manual had closed chamber 4Vs till they ran out, then they had open chamber 2Vs as well. Everything after the XBs had open chamber 2Vs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Auto 4V XBs had open chamber 2V heads..early manual had closed chamber 4Vs till they ran out, then they had open chamber 2Vs as well"

Question for you xacoupe

i have a 74 xb with 302 auto, heads are stamped with 4, are you saying they are open chamber 2v. im abit confused

cheers

gr8v8

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
302 Clevelands only ever had closed chamber 2Vs. Not all 4Vs had '4' cast on them and yes, I have seen 302 heads with '4' cast in them.
There is an off chance that someone over the years has put 4Vs on it but unlikely unless it's a very hot motor

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
ok i have an 81 fairlane with a 351 (numbers match too) now on the tune up sticker thing under the bonnet it says the 4.9 and 5.8 4V engine family, so what does that mean?

·
Banned
555 Posts
unfortuneatley in the case of the fairlane it means it was released with a 4 barrel (4v means 4 venturi) carb, if it has a raised 4 you have 4v's, american 2v's also come with a raised 2 our aussie heads 2v's both open and closed chamber are unmarked.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It means that you have a pollution motor with a thermocrap on it.. 4v = 4 venturi , the thermo is a 4 V carb but doesn't mean it has 4 v heads, in fact given the year I would bet that it has OC 2vs as per the norm.
4V heads were originally fitted to the falcons and LTDs with 4 barrel carbs .. the early ones at least, hence the 4V name. Ford aus went and screwed it up by putting a 4 barrel carb on small port heads.
Basically big port heads were on pre pollution motors, small port on pollution. There are exceptions to the small port thing ( early XB GT autos ) but it gets the idea across.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
the open chamber 4v's are american 73 model 351 ho heads, or other models with a hp 351, or similar motor...
they did that to the boss 351 motors so they could reduce the compression for the smog laws they introduced...
highly unlikly that these heads were fitted to aussie cars, but then you all know what ford are like....:/

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone know the dimensions of the Inlet and outlets on the 2V and 4V heads and is this where the only difference is between an aftermarket 2V and 4V intake manifold?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ford cleveland heads come in several major configurations, mainly 2v or 4v. Brendens comments about looking at the runner size etc is an excellent way. All clevo heads come in open and closed chamber, and there are 4v open chamber heads with factory 2v valves. the red engine pictured is a 2v. There is also a casting feature on the block parting line which indicates directly whether or not the heads are open or closed chamber. The only failing in 4v head identification is if someone grinds the "4" off the corner of the head, as all 4v's have this feature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts