Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive contacted someone about buying there 3.0 vulcan motor. it was removed from an 88 taurus. same vulcan as the tempos have? and would it work in an 84? hes offering it all for 250US dollars. let me know your thoughts

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It should be very similar to the vulcan in the tempo and it will bolt up to your 3 speed auto. You'll need to get a vulcan tempo motor mount, wire harness and computer and other odds and ends as needed.

The 3.0 wasn't an option until 92, so you may have to do some drilling to be able to bolt on the mount and some other stuff, but nothing serious.

Since you have a carb, you'll have to add an inline electric fuel pump or else swap in an entire fuel tank and pump from a fuel injected Tempo.

If my swap goes well, I might consider building an all out drag Tempo. I'd start with a 84-87 2 door, gut the interior and remove all excess weight. Then get the slush box bullet proofed and bolt up a mildly built vulcan and either turbo charge it or use N20. Weld the motor mounts solid and bolt on a set of drag slicks and HOLD ON!!! :)

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts
Swaps

I've been doing some bigtime research on Vulcans. Taurus Vulcan's were essentially identical except for their timing chain cover and the way their cooling system inlets/outlets are placed on this cover. I wouldn't use a Taurus Vulcan because their timing chain cover sticks out farther from the block than Tempo/Probe Vulcans and you will probably be hitting the passenger side frame under the hood.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot you guys! i was didnt think the taurus ones were the same, but i wanted to make sure before i bought it. im still lookin for one out of a tempo or probe. i know the vulcans didnt begin until 92, hich is why id like to eventually swap one into mine, and start doin some research on the hsc once its out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts