Ford Forums banner

3 alternators

626 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hoping for some help here. My car is going through alternators like water. First one went out and I wasn't surprised because was on a 05 Five Hundred and was about time for one. I bought a used one because money was tight and it lasted 4 days. So for the 3rd one I bought a new one and it lasted less than 24 hours. What could be causing this?
When they go out the abs light and traction control lights come on just before the car just dies. Also the ac quits working. I'm so confused. I've went through the entire car looking for broken wires or bad grounds. Even pulled door panels off. I can't figure it out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Today we had rhe battery checked and it's good. We charged it and it started, of course, and we used a battery charger with an alternator checker and it said the alternator was good.....UNTIL we turned the AC on. Soon as the ac was on it said bad alternator. Turn the ac back off and it said the alternator was good. Thinking now it's a short in the ac somewhere? Or the ac is just dragging it down that bad? Any idea of what that means?

#5 ·
Could be the alternator cant cope when LOAD tested . May be as suggested by faulty air con but could also test by loading with other circuits out with the aircon and see how it reacts before condemning air con . A battery with dud weak cells wont help either as alternator will be working overtime trying to keep up , this needs LOAD tested also .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.