Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car dynoed and it really sucked. 215 horse at the rear wheels and 240lbs of torque. The dyno man said he would have expected a bunch more out of it. Like 40 more hp. I got to talking to them and they figure they could probably do it in a half day costing $300. The engine and drive line are complete to how I am going to leave the car. I am just a shadetree mechanice and its hard to get specific numbers without putting it on the dyno anyway ($80 hour for me to tune it myself). With the o2 sensers and such they could get it far better than I ever could. Sound like a deal to anyone else??:eek:o1:

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
:s6:
Nah!!! They can use a sensor in the tail pipe to read the exhaust and get the right jets in the carb! BTW the shop is very reputable and well known local speed shop. Been in business for years and have never heard anything bad about them.

·
Forgotten
65 Posts
What exactly will they be doing to it?

Another question : how long will it be before it needs to be tuned again? 3 months? 6 months? 12 months?

If they change some stuff around that'll last a while, I might consider it if they do a good job (and pull a significant HP change out of it).

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey man, 215 at the wheels is not bad at all my firend. Stock it'd only pump out abou ~150. You have to remerb that the numbers ford (and everyone else from that era) quote are basicly made up.
Post what kind of gains they get from the tunning up.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I am expecting mainly for them to get the jetting(both primaries adn secondaries), accelorator pump, pump cam, and squirters and then timing. The motor has a whole bunch more in it than 215. I know that for a fact. Obviously I will also get a final HP and torque curve that I will know shift points too. I expect 30-40 more horses out of it. I don't see why the motor would need to be tuned again except for winter/summer differences, if I do headwork, or have to take the distributor out (in that case I will just put it back in as it was set). I don't plan on doing head work ever so it would be a done deal.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
Considering the shop's investment in equipment and the value of the technician's time, The $300 sounds reasonable to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Thats kinda what I was thinking. If I were to do it myself I would have to get one of those g-tech thingies to see what my tuning did for the car. And that would take weeks of minor changes and such. These guys could get it nailed down on the first try. No more messing around.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to scan my before and after hp/torque curves. I am thinking after the first of the year. (student loans come in then!!!)
:s6:

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
If you have the money, why not. Everyone knows this is not a cheap hobby. Plus you will probably end saving money at the pump b/c is tuned properly, you'll feel better about your car running better. I see it as a win-win situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts