Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
a little bit sideways
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
up front, let me state that i have no contacts with anyone in ford. heck, i work in a bank, so nobody talks to me...

anyway, with rumour of 300 or more kw for Gt is anyone else worried? IMHO, too much power is still not enough, but what conecrns me is that there will be some dickhead journo or worse, a pollie, who try to kick up a storm by jumping on the 'speed kills' bandwagon and kills the car, and all of holdens hot cars too, as well as all the other performance falcons. it happened in the 70's, why not again?

lets face it, 300 kw sounds exactly like 300 hp. 300 is 300, but if someone realises that the two figures are not the same, and that 300kw is about 400 hp, all we need is some lowlife to realise there are votes to be had.

personally, from what i have read, i am dying to get a look at the GT. after seeing the GT show on foxtel the other night, and my initials are GT (thanks mum:s6: ) i think i am destined to own one. heres hoping it isnt killed off before i save my pennies.

·
Dual Exhaust Warrior™
1,172 Posts
Nah mate the GT will stay.. unlike the 70's we now have ABS, Airbags, BIG brakes, side intrusion bars etc etc..... In those days we had horsepower and skinny tyres LOL :s5

·
a little bit sideways
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah mate the GT will stay.. unlike the 70's we now have ABS, Airbags, BIG brakes, side intrusion bars etc etc..... In those days we had horsepower and skinny tyres LOL
you forgot drum brakes!:s6:

trouble is when was the last time you heard any sense in the road safety debate. high powered cars are an easy target for some has-been politician trying to reignite a career. when was the last time you heard a pollie admit that car design and safety features have contributed to the reduced road toll? they all seem to think that the introduction of speed cameras have magically saved millions of lives.

same would apply to this...point out the bits you want people to hear, ignore the rest of the facts. and you know what they say about journos...never let the facts get in the way of a good story...just look at 'a current affair'. i rest my case. :s2:

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I think Ford have done the right thing with the power output on the new GT. When you compare the figures to HSV, Ford have obviously put a premium on the torque.

Just wait and see.......

·
Ford Member
259 Posts
I think the new AMG Mercedes puts out 350 kw + from a supercharged 5.5 V8...

There are other euro cars that put out similar levels of HP - so if anyone throws stones they would have to include all these cars wouldn't they?

Would that mean that pollies would act to ban the imports of Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and Mercedes models?

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
It wont be stopped by the pollies. If they were going to they would have done it with the WRX's which have great performance at an affordable price. The GT won't be a 40+ thousand dollar vehicle like the WRX and that means there will be a whole lot less young hoons behind the wheel.

·
D_XR6 in a previous life
95 Posts
The other thing that really peeves me is that anyone can speed... you dont need 300+kw to do it. My mum's VW Polo with a smashing 55kw can speed too! Lets just hope that the saftey features are enough to keep the idiot pollies of our cars!

·
Newest Member
144 Posts
D_XR6 said:
The other thing that really peeves me is that anyone can speed... you dont need 300+kw to do it. My mum's VW Polo with a smashing 55kw can speed too! Lets just hope that the saftey features are enough to keep the idiot pollies of our cars!
Too right...

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
rsgerry said:

lets face it, 300 kw sounds exactly like 300 hp. 300 is 300, but if someone realises that the two figures are not the same, and that 300kw is about 400 hp, all we need is some lowlife to realise there are votes to be had.
Well if those 'lowlives' read FF, they know that 300kw = 400hp (est) NOW...lol

..only having fun with ya. I think we will be ok, these cars are very safe..fast but safe. can't say that about a Phase 3 (still love one however).

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
You can speed in anything. That's not the point. Poeple arent going to buy a GT to go bush bashing. Nor will poeple buy a landcruiser to beat poeple off the lights. I'm not saying that poeple are buying GT's to speed, becasue I am sure there are alot of well off poeple who would buy the car just for the GT name, but I'm also saying the person who buys the 4WD will not always go bush bashing.

My point? Well, I acknowledge the fact each car targets a specific market, so therfore to cater for the Market it must supply what that market requires. People buy a fast car to go fast, not slow. My mum bought her Excel to go slow(not exactly, but she still does go slow), I bought my XR (pics coming soon in showroom) to drive fast and because I want a big car with lots of room.

·
Australian AU 1 Futura Member
77 Posts
Here's a quiz for you:

Which is safer - a Hyundai Excel doing 100km/h, a Toyota Landcruiser doing 100km/h or a wild 300+kW GT also at 100km/h?

Answer: The GT by a long shot. It can out brake and out handle the other two, is side impact tested (4wd's are not) and has less propensity to roll over. It has a greater potential to stay out of trouble in the first place while better enabling it's occupants to survive if the worst happens (strong body structure / side air bags / sheer size / large crumple zones). The Excel on the other hand...makes a great pillow but not much else...

Makes me mad that people can point the finger at GT s and GTS s when nobody says boo at the micro cars out on todays roads - or the tiny 4wd's that topple at a moments notice and have seats located millimeters from the rear tail gate!!!!!!! How the heck do these pass our design rules? How useless are ADRs if they don't protect against this sort of lunacy?

Or the fact that the ever rising sales of large 4wds means more and more poor handling, poor stopping vehicles are making their ways onto our roads. Even scarier is the fact that most of these are being used by Ma and Pa to commute the kids to and from school!!!

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
Ok well 290kw isn't bad, don't forget HSV cars handle like boats :)) so we win there. Somehow i feel that the 290kw isn't right, i mean i could be waaaay off but i think ford have "played" down the number on the power so people don't complain like back in the 70's? Not sure!!

·
Formerly lowercase :-)
823 Posts
chevypower said:
Wooopy Doo, 10 more Newton Meters, LOOK OUT HOLDEN!!! I am so disappointed, wheres this 320kw engine?
You are dissapointed that FPV's base model outshines HSV's top model by 10nm??????

You are hard to please!

·
Classic Capri Member
153 Posts
Who says that the motors really put out 290kW. may be they have been under rated???

We will have to wait and see the times they can get out of it compared to the GTS.

My theory Why Holden is only releasing 100GTS is because they are bringing out the AWD version maybe at the Melbourne motor show 2003.

Could this really be why FPV are waiting to release the GTHO. Just so they can see where HSV take the GTS to in the next step or maybe if they are serrious and produce enough of the 7.0litre monaro and what sort of performance it puts out,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts