1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
At 10Lp yes easy...

·
Registered
670 Posts
That'd prolly be too close to my blocks end zone to risk, highest i had @ 9-10lb s/c boost was 220rwkw with poor tune and no cooler.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Just pulled my block out and must say it looks new as far as rotating assembly.Just goes to show good oil and frequent changes..Is just as important as tuning at these power levels and above..The reason engine is out? I'm building another block that hopefully can take any power I can throw at it...I hope so !!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is that the dart block in your signature??? I'm beginning to think you got 2 much money. LOL!
No really, did you have turbo's on old setup, what power you make etc?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Hmm money..Kept the same car for more than ten years now..Real estate was my priority then.... Besides I won't see 40 again!!!

Yes turbo's in original engine.. 12 Lp on tuning and seeing what it could do[Rocco's are Nissan and Rotory mech's] it made 369 rwkw but clutch etc couldn't handle it.So we dropped boost back to 7-8 Lp to a more reliable 270 rwkw..The T5 was still in there then!! It didn't die either...It pulled 269 on our clubs dyno day..
With new Dart motor and 8.5 compression the compressor housing may need to be upgraded to T4 specs/ Hybrid ??...But as they are now they make 350hp each..Will also need bigger injectors..But 300 rwkw is realy enough for street.As you know with forced induction it gives you such a wide power band.Can short shift and still be quick due to low end torque...

·
Registered
670 Posts
The s/c are fairly picky about gear change as they're only comming in strong at 3500- 4000rpm and that 1500rpm is bliss but drop the hammer at 70kph in 3rd (manual) instead of second and you'll be reeling them in instead of punching out a 2 car lead almost instantly. I am so tempted to go the turbo's instead of s/c this time around, wish i had of spent just a lil more on forgies and a better block instead of f150 block and hyperutectic pistons. At the time i was fed up to the eyeballs with stupid dream wrecking mechanics and had no money left to speak of!
My mate in Vic has an ED with a t3-4 hybrid and the rush at 2000rpm is JUST MAGIC! I could beat him but only if i got my sh!t right and the ecu wasn't playing games!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hmmmm.... You must have been kind to your T5 for it to live! I killed mine on a cold night (more power for boost as you know) against an old faimont wheel lifting machine.

And yes your right much wider power band on boosted engine.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Keeping fuel up to engine and taking spark out to prevent detonation even to the point of loosing alittle power. Will make those pistons last.Detonation kills even forged pistons, let alone head gasgets...

I never power shifted.. Just let the engine do the work..Besides slightly smaller twin turbo's or correct sized ones to application makes for very streetable engine.. Even with E303 cam and ports that flow 300 cfm...Was alittle of a handfull n/a...Turbo's bought power curve down by 1200 rpm, from n/a 2800 to 1500 f/i..Haltech possibly helped out there tho...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well time will tell. I'm putting my faith in redcliff dyno as they seem to know plenty about fords. The ecu is not far away and the results from that need to excite me a bit to make me warrant more at this stage. I am also looking forward to that cam. I run out of revs too quick and want that lil extra rpm, and it should make my heads work heaps better.
Then i'll upgrade to twins or s/c. I think i may want a lil bigger turbo's (not sure) so they aren't comming in too far before 2500 stall or i may have some problems geting the thing off the line in a hurry. Your opinion???

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
I think you have too much money to play with is what i think... ha ha ha.

The turbos will probably give you more power to play with and will give you better top end grunt, where as the charger will give a full linear curve, be better low to mid, but seeing as though you have the stally setup, I have no clues what would be best.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
TwinPiston said:
I think you have too much money to play with is what i think... ha ha ha.

The turbos will probably give you more power to play with and will give you better top end grunt, where as the charger will give a full linear curve, be better low to mid, but seeing as though you have the stally setup, I have no clues what would be best.

If you are talking possitive displacement blowers yes but thet run out of breath up top and take power to drive from motor,so if block can handle say 500hp max a blown engine will have to be cut back to 450..

A centrifical blower as in Vortech, powerdyn etc have very similar power curves to a turbo..

The difference between the the two.. Blower and turbo realy is like how long is a piece of string or saying "cows sh!t" !!! [we all knew that?] Yes they all make power, obviously...If you read my above post I doubt a blower would have such a wide power band as mine..But I'm not into knocking one against the the other as there are SO many "variables"..Sprintex and such blowers are good especially on drag strip and they would be set up specificaly for drags but wouldn't last long on street, with drag set up, too much over drive....Saying that most turbo set ups wouldn't either...Other than drag racing when have blown engine been used..Rally cars are turbo, F1 was...
Another you don't drive on boost all the time with turbo either if you don't want to, controling power / boost with right foot. But with blower its there if you want it or not.. Which is a good thing at the drags..But when comparing differences there the turbo street cars and blown are much the same..Its the top fuelers/ alcahol that spin some towards Blowers but rememeber they us oxygenated fuels as well. Its not a comparison....

·
Registered
670 Posts
good summary mate! The search continues. How much do you think a turbo set up will cost? No ecu neccissary as i'll already have that done. Just manifolds, plumbing, cooler, and the turbo's!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I have mine off at the moment..We could try and fab some up..What are you prepared to pay for twin manifolds??? P.M me...
The exhaust manifolds are the hardest to make...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Single turbo is LESS hassle, power is same...Depends on sizing etc..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts