Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you may recall my engine has been rebuilt a few times already. In that time I have seen a couple of cams and head combos and not all have been okay.

Here's my predicament:
After the first build (which I was way happy with) the compression was reduced and a BIG cam was put in. The bottom end died in the arse and it idled rough (and pigrooted majorly in low speed driving) but in fanging around with Laminge in Melbourne it didn't go too bad :D at all up higher in the rev range. Prob was it was a ***** in traffic.

Then the 220 cam was put back in but it dies in the arse up high now (above 4-4500rpm). A result of the lower compression perhaps?

So, after crunching a spreadsheet with some different camshaft specs I now find that the 220 cam seems a bit short in the intake side duration and isn't all that crash hot on lift (less than 0.500).

Has anyone got any input and experience in camshaft specs for the 302/347 XR8 spec engines? I was just after some independent thinking as I think I have found a good compromise cam. Must be driveable with a 5 speed and still have good mid range power.

SPECIAL NOTE TO LAMINGE:
Have you got the specs for your cam? Just wanted them for my spreadsheet as it was the same cam I had before.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Have you tried a custom grind? Might be the only way to go now.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
I have an E303 in mine without any real dramas.... Pulls to redline without dropping off, from say 2000rpm onwards things start to wizz by at a scary rate;)

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
When i do my stroker, i was just going to use the E303 cam.

220/282 intake
220/282 exhaust
.498" lift

Thats the exact same spec as one the crane cames availble here.
I think the E303 spec is a good cam because there's 0 overlap and has been a prooven performer in the states.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking either E303 or F303. How does the car idle on the E303? What comp ratio are you running with it?

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
A lovely rumbly note when at idle, never really lopey i guess very crisp comp ratio is at 9.8:1 how can i tape an exhaust note & plug it in here ??? any takers
Cheers

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
svo302 said:
A lovely rumbly note when at idle, never really lopey i guess very crisp comp ratio is at 9.8:1 how can i tape an exhaust note & plug it in here ??? any takers
Cheers
You could try what I did.. a bit dodgy but worked!! :D Set up the computer close to the garage. Run a microphone from the soundcard to near the exhaust, and using simple sound recording software you can capture to .wav file. From there, you could compress it into mp3 to save space. Not quite the same as recording it in full flight on the road, which I haven't been able to do yet with mine :(

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XR9UTE said:
What is your complete combo Aussie Pete?

Pete.
347, GT40P ported heads at 9.5 compression. All else is standard XR8 220 stuff.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
laminge said:
Sorry mate, no idea!!!
I got them - can't quote though.

G

·
Ok Aussie Pete,

Your standard intake(Explorer style) is most likely becoming the cork in the system. It is marginal on a worked 302 let alone a 347.

The F303 is certainly a good choice for your engine but so is the Crane 2031.

What pistons have you got? What size valve reliefs/dish cc's, and how much lift can your springs take?
What are the flow figures on these ported 40P's?

Seriously Pete. you need to go a hell of a lot higher than 0.500" lift to get this thing to happen. Then you'll really notice the stock intake ain't enough. I hope you've got 1 3/4" headers too.

Pete.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XR9UTE said:
Ok Aussie Pete,

Your standard intake(Explorer style) is most likely becoming the cork in the system. It is marginal on a worked 302 let alone a 347.

The F303 is certainly a good choice for your engine but so is the Crane 2031.

What pistons have you got? What size valve reliefs/dish cc's, and how much lift can your springs take?
What are the flow figures on these ported 40P's?

Seriously Pete. you need to go a hell of a lot higher than 0.500" lift to get this thing to happen. Then you'll really notice the stock intake ain't enough. I hope you've got 1 3/4" headers too.

Pete.
I'm going to have a long chat with the boys when my engine is pulled down because the last iteration was a dog. It just didn't want to rev at all. But version 1 was SWEET! So, go figure.

The whole bottom end is Scat steel crank kit with the pistons cut to reduce compresssion. And as for the heads, I didn't get flow figures or any of that. Stay tuned for more details, because it isn't going back in the same shape it came out. I'd be going back to 220 and saving my money if that was the case.....

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, forgot.

The BIG cam I mentioned was around the 540 lift, 226 deg at 0.050 (high 280s advertised), 115 deg lobe type spec. I have been told this should idle okay.

It seems to be a mid range cam if you look at what others are doing. Any comments?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anybody Read FordMuscle.com ??

Their lastest bugdet engine build story is up and they are using a Lunati 51023 cam. reckon its between a FMS E and B....

The cam specifications are 215/224 duration at 0.050" lift, and .522" lift on both the intake and exhaust valve. The cam has a lobe separation angle of 112 degrees. Comparing this cam to the popular FRPP alphabet soup cams, it falls somewhere between a B (224/.480") and E (220/.498") cam. The Lunati actually has more lift than these, but less intake duration. The 112 separation angle and 215 intake duration should keep emissions near stock at idle. We figured it would be a smooth idling cam, with good mid range (2500-4500) torque. The RPM intake should move the torque band up 800 rpm or so and give us a good top end charge.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
a damned good investment given how much money you are spending is the Engine Analyser program .... I have the 1989 version (!!) in DOS still... it works a treat . I believe there is a windows version around too.
It asks all and sundry questions ... and gives you the opportunity to 'change' your cam without spending a cent.
I swear by it .. it was 5 hp different to my XB 351 .. 375hp (dyno) vs 370hp on the computer.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
XA coupe said:
a damned good investment given how much money you are spending is the Engine Analyser program .... I have the 1989 version (!!) in DOS still... it works a treat . I believe there is a windows version around too.
It asks all and sundry questions ... and gives you the opportunity to 'change' your cam without spending a cent.
I swear by it .. it was 5 hp different to my XB 351 .. 375hp (dyno) vs 370hp on the computer.
Where can we get a program like that???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts