Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Can anyone help me out here. I want to change my EB (which has an EL front end) to an 8. Wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get this done in Sydney. And where can I get a decent 302/351 W engine??

Thanks,
Kieran.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
302 would be much better than 351. Theres already tonnes of aftermarket stuff for the injected 302, whereas building a 351ci fuel-injected engine is a more costly exercise. You could try engine importers such as Brookvale, or grab a V8 from a wrecked XR8 and rebuild it.

·
Australian XD Member
92 Posts
Hi Kypez why don't you put the EF XR6 engine you have got for sale in it ?
Any thing wrong with it?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have... its in the market section

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tip about the motor... will check it out... a 302 block from a ED was on off... should have taken it...!!! I bought the XR6 motor instead... oh well... no I have to sell the XR6 motor and buy the 8...

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Don't forget you also need the cross-member from an EB V8.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
VenomS, alot of aftermarket parts that fit a 302W will also fit a 351W, stuff like heads, cam, upper intake.

If your going the V8 route then you may aswell go the hole hog and get a 351W, price wise it wouldnt be much more expensive than a 302W conversion.
The first model F150 Lightning had a [email protected] version and it propelled them to mid-low 15s stock (auto)
In the 1995 Cobra R it had around 375-400Hp (it was rated at just 300Hp!) with fairly mild parts.

Plus with the 351W you have the option of 400ci-plus strokers down the track, problem is finding a gearbox to handle the power. A modified AOD or AODE will be alright or Tremec TKO if ya got the cash :nuts: :nuts:

Ford would have been better off redesigning the 351W like GM did with the LS1 rather than making those big-block sized modular motors....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Martin,

I wanted to go 351 but was told that it had to be rebuilt to accept injectors and all that stuff. hence I was thinking 302. is there anywhere I can get 351 already built like that and how much would I be looking at.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
The 351 is also a taller engine. Try sticking it into a EB and you'll have clearance problems. You'll then incur extra costs modifying your engine bay to accomodate the extra size.

Stick to the 302, plenty of cheap blocks around with all the EFI gear on them already.

·
Champion Goose
398 Posts
I just replied but it didn't seem to go through so here goes again.
You could go a EFI 351W from a US Ford Explorer, they have the same GT-40P iron heads as the XR8 but you will have the tall deck problem (351 is .3inc higher i think). A stroked 302 would solve your cubes problem and be easier logistically (importing a motor) and economically ($$$). As scary as a 400+ci (stroked 351) motor would be on the street the damage to your wallet would be more horrendous.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
EFI 351W came in F-150 pickups, both in American and Aussie ones. Why you bother doing 302 conversion then doing a $5000 stroker later when you could have done a 351W conversion in the first place for cheaper is beyond my comprehension. The EA-onwords has a larger engine bay than any previous Falcon and ive seen a EFI 351W bolt right into a XR Falcon with no clearance probs other than a slight mod to the bonnet;)
Ask Pete off the Fastlane forums, he owned this 351W XR Falcon, and apparently has also done/working on a EFI 351W conversion into a NA Fairlane, EFI 302W into a Cortina, EFI 460ci stroker into a XE ute, EFI 351C in a XE Ute.

Heres an article on his EFi 351W XR Falcon

http://www.trueblueford.com/66'XRfalconEFI351wconversion.htm

But if it was my XR6, id be bolting a Turbo to the 4.0L motor and then you'd be wondering why you ever wanted a V8 in the first place....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Martin,

I wanted to put a turbo into my car as well... only problem was insurence. no one was willing insure the car, so I decided to go V8. Also I have found a V8 for $4000 with everything, wires, transmission the whole deal. its off an ED falcon S. Wanted to know if the dash wires were similar in the ED to the EB???

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Kypez, have you tried Just Cars Insurance? They allow unlimited mods as long as you tell them and its legal.

They wanted $2600 from me for an ED XR6, which is cheaper than what NRMA wanted and thats with no mods.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
Kypez said:
Hi Martin,

Wanted to know if the dash wires were similar in the ED to the EB???

Thanks Again.

Be carefull SMARTLOCK IN ED not EB. Totally different looms, plugs, wiring, ignition lock, ECU(ithink) etc etc etc.

;)

·
Australian AUII XR8 Member
153 Posts
botch said:

Be carefull SMARTLOCK IN ED not EB. Totally different looms, plugs, wiring, ignition lock, ECU(ithink) etc etc etc.

;)
The workshop manual I have states that smartlock appeared October 1992 wich would be around EB II time.

The workshop manual is a Gregory's so may not be worth much :confused:

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
I have a workshop manual(bible) for EA_ED 6's 8's even the sprint V8, Gli to LTD, damn thing is 4inches thick!

Late '92(august onwards), '93 EB2's are exactly the same wiring as an ED.

Be careful not all EBII's are the same through '92.

Having one of these manual is the best thing, a bit pricey($153) but worth it! it will tell you every thing what is needed to change anything

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Guys...

I check this "smartlock" thing out... havent much info about it. My car is an EB 1... so I'll give it a lot of time.

Thanks AlbertM and XR8220 for the tip on the manual.... will buy that tomorrow...

Any other tips I should think about... I am 99% sure I'm gonna do the swap with an ED...

so let me know,

Thanks again all!!!!

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
Tha manual I have is an actual Ford one, should be able to order one through your Ford dealer.

EB1 to ED is alot of difference in wiring, Smart lock being one of them, it will take alot of time and money to change.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Martin said:

Ask Pete off the Fastlane forums, he owned this 351W XR Falcon, and apparently has also done/working on a EFI 351W conversion into a NA Fairlane, EFI 302W into a Cortina, EFI 460ci stroker into a XE ute, EFI 351C in a XE Ute.

Heres an article on his EFi 351W XR Falcon

http://www.trueblueford.com/66'XRfalconEFI351wconversion.htm

I think Pete still has this motor, I saw it advertised for sale on the Fastlane Board a few weeks ago, could be just what you are looking for!;)

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Suberban importers sell 351's long block for&2800 :short $1850. Recond: Need sump inlet etc.The f150 inlet is too high...BUT with the Cobra top with explorer 5.8 bottom with no heat spacer,I machined 10 mm off top Cobra manifold, shorter bolts.Fitted.I suggest a well warn 5 Ltr to get parts brackets etc.You legally can't use an early 5.8 it has to be same polution standards as original engine.R.T.A check engine numbers for engine year of manufacture.. Bustards...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts