Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Hotrod Drag & Street Car
234 Posts
unless you are prepared to buy all the bits and experiment for yourself, just buy the kit's that are already put together, still check clearances though! also the 302 rod and modded 400 crank does work, with a hell of a lot of mod's but that is an old school way about it seeing you can buy a 393 kit with stronger parts and much less hassles. the extra 7 cubes are not really worth the effort. cherrs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone just getting back into racing ive been away shooting uspsa race guns. Four years ago I ran 70 mustang with 372 ci cleveland 10,40s 128mph 360 strocked stock crank 5.7 chevy rods cleveland pistons .
A cheep combo. Time to start racing again . cleveland power forsure .

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
slusher said:
Hello everyone just getting back into racing ive been away shooting uspsa race guns. Four years ago I ran 70 mustang with 372 ci cleveland 10,40s 128mph 360 strocked stock crank 5.7 chevy rods cleveland pistons .
A cheep combo. Time to start racing again . cleveland power forsure .
Welcome to FF there slushser.

That's a nice respectable time you have there with the 'stang.

There's another guy here, Jim, running a similar Mustang with a 393 pulling 10.3's.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just thought I would pipe in and inform the thread that I am currently building a stroker using a Scat 3.850 4340 Crank, 6" Chev 4340 H Beam rods and custom 11.5:1 CP pistons. I got all the parts from the really helpful guys at Qantum Performance in my hometown of Brisbane.

Engine will consist of ported 225 CHI heads, Crane soild roller cam, YT Platinum roller rockers, CHI Manifold, 1050 Dominator carb, MSD, crank girdle, etc. All the good gear.

Will let you know how it all goes. So far it owes me more coin than I want to mention, or even think about :)

Jav

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good stuff there Jav,

Almost same as my combo, but I have out the box 225's and a 750. Are you using the dominator manifold? I always wanted to see how this setup would compare to the 4150 manifold and smaller carb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probe 408 stroker kit with 6" rods. Customer couldn't hear me say "Less is More", but I would have preferred the 383 or 393 with a longer rod and some realistic piston and ring life. Had to clearance everything everywhere including cutting the skirts for crank clearance. Comp Cams roller cam and blew it up with Comp Cams Roller Lifters. DO NOT USE COMP CAMS ROLLERS!!! They uncover the oil gallery and blow off all the oil pressure! Cranes will work. Made 475 HP with a gentle part-throttle tug so looking forward to a very sassy bunch of Fo Mo Co power on the repop. The other issue was CALIBRATE YOUR TIMING MARKS!! Our after-market SFI approved piece was off 35 degrees for whatever reason (it hadn't spun).
225 CHI heads are the S__T!!! with a 750 very crispy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good stuff there Jav,

Almost same as my combo, but I have out the box 225's and a 750. Are you using the dominator manifold? I always wanted to see how this setup would compare to the 4150 manifold and smaller carb.
Hey mate, yes I will be using the CHI Dominator manifold. It's a while off yet, I'm still sussing who's who in the Brisbane engine machinist zoo before I commit money and parts to a layman. I'm pretty fussy with respect to tolerances, and still testing the waters and asking lots of questions of the locals before it all gets nervously handed over :-( If I were back in Sydney I'd shoot down to Westend Performance, they really impressed me... Good blokes and very knowledgeable.

Anyway, from the research that I have conducted so far, seems this combo should work quite well. The cam has in excess of 700" lift and the heads flow a little better than out of the box, not a great more, just exhaust and intake are more balanced now, more like 70% than 66% out of the box. Looking forward to sharing the knowledge when I acquire it.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW, nice ride mate, it was your car that encouraged me to go stroker - so it's your fault I'm broke :)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey mate, yes I will be using the CHI Dominator manifold. It's a while off yet, I'm still sussing who's who in the Brisbane engine machinist zoo before I commit money and parts to a layman. I'm pretty fussy with respect to tolerances, and still testing the waters and asking lots of questions of the locals before it all gets nervously handed over :-( If I were back in Sydney I'd shoot down to Westend Performance, they really impressed me... Good blokes and very knowledgeable.

Anyway, from the research that I have conducted so far, seems this combo should work quite well. The cam has in excess of 700" lift and the heads flow a little better than out of the box, not a great more, just exhaust and intake are more balanced now, more like 70% than 66% out of the box. Looking forward to sharing the knowledge when I acquire it.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW, nice ride mate, it was your car that encouraged me to go stroker - so it's your fault I'm broke :)

Cheers
Doh! Sorry about that!!........damn hole in my back pocket too!!

Call Pavtek in Melbourne just to compare quotes etc. They build anything from stockies to topfuel engines so have lots of experience etc. Inhouse dyno too and they just courier the engine to your place. Got mine dropped off in Sale!

Pavtek Website - Home

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
DO NOT USE COMP CAMS ROLLERS!!! They uncover the oil gallery and blow off all the oil pressure!
What lift was the cam?
I know many running the Comp lifters including my self and they work great.
I'm putting out above 550hp with it in my 408 stroker with alloy heads etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I am new here and I have a big problem. I purchased a SCAT FORD forged crank superlight 4340. The # is 4-351C-3500-6000-3. We are just doing the motor and found out, that the timing chain for a Cleveland do not fit. We asked SCAT and they said, we have a use a Windsor Timing Chain. There will be 2 different out there one with roller cam and one w/o. We need the timing chain w/o roller cam. SCAT give us two #: TCS 350 CS and TCS 350 CP. They will com from Australia. Any ideas ? Any Information will help ! Michael++

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello. I am new here and I have a big problem. I purchased a SCAT FORD forged crank superlight 4340. The # is 4-351C-3500-6000-3. We are just doing the motor and found out, that the timing chain for a Cleveland do not fit. We asked SCAT and they said, we have a use a Windsor Timing Chain. There will be 2 different out there one with roller cam and one w/o. We need the timing chain w/o roller cam. SCAT give us two #: TCS 350 CS and TCS 350 CP. They will com from Australia. Any ideas ? Any Information will help ! Michael++
Welcome to the forum futureboss351!

Give these guys a call, PAVTEK in Melbourne, Australia. They do lots of Scat stroker kit engine builds and should be able to send you the right part.

Pavtek Website - Contact

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think there's maybe one guy?

Their quality is really on the dodgy side on MANY if their items. I just couldn't justify spending all the other cash that goes with a stroker motor and have that thing inside it. I just don't trust them!

Same with their heads and manifolds. They are definite absolute crap. Their advertising campaingn spins them right up and compares them with the best racing products!

Remember: YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD :hehe:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Scat 3.850 crank needed spacer for timing chain alignment. Approx. 3/4? inch (rollmaster). P.S. carb reccomendation for 393,2v iron ,rpm air gap,292h,3.6 9" ,1500kg XB ?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Scat 3.850 crank needed spacer for timing chain alignment. Approx. 3/4? inch (rollmaster). P.S. carb reccomendation for 393,2v iron ,rpm air gap,292h,3.6 9" ,1500kg XB ?
The Rollmaster CS3130 has the correct windsor diameter which is the size on the 4340 steel Scat stroker cranks. The CS3130 is also the correct width so no seperate spacer is required.

I'd use a 750HP carby. I have a 408 stroker and still use the 750 which is good enough up to 600hp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am about to start my stroker build.

MME 4340 Forged Crankshaft
Scat 4340 Forged H Beam rods
Probe flat tops

a kit from MME that from what i read in multiple forums and the guys at MME said, just drops in no mods. very good price too. Any body use a stroker kit from MME?

the rest of the build will consist of

Chi 225cc cylinder heads
Chi dominator manifold
1050 dominator or king demon
cam will be a solid roller, and any spec suggestions??

car is a 3800 lb mustang, c-6, street strip car. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts