Ford Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have no doubt FPV will bring out an XR6T of there own. It is highly unlikely that it will have more power than the gt in fact it will just not happen. My estimate would be around 270kw and just a tad over 500 nm of torque all this hopefully will be mated to the Tremec box.

This would fit perfectly in the line up and would no doubt sell just as well as the current fpv vehicles are.

Just remember a lot of people said ford would never drop the v8, they shut up when the xf came out. Stranger things have happened. An FPV xr6T is not all that silly an idea and I would expect an up coming motor show to have it there. (If it were to happen of course :s6: )

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,787 Posts
I reckon FPV will wait for the BA2 before modding the turbo; this way they can get all the power they want, and they will only have to limit torque to less than 600Nm - the new ZF 6 speed auto is rated to this level.

·
Phantom XR6T
111 Posts
Barra_4_Eva said:
im sure Ford also wouldnt like there brand spanking new V8 engine worn by the companies Flagship model (at the moment its the GT), being outperformed by lighter 6 cylinder engined car.

...especially so if the GTHO wasnt to be built.

I know we arn't exactly comparing the same thing but the Ferrari F40 outperformed the V12 models easily, the AMG S/C V8 Mercedes kill the V12 models, that little AUDI wagon of a couple of years ago was the fastest thing they ever built and it did not have a V8. Personally I think the days of a Naturally Aspirated car being the fast one are coming to an end.
It still leaves the option open to supercharge the V8.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
An FPV 320kw turbo may just be in the pipeworks...
To V8 enthusiasts it wont be good news, especially to the GT owners who bought a 290kw GT because GT has a history of being the best performance cars out of the ford factory.

From a business oint of view Ford will have less cost in releasing a turbo, most of the testing and egineering has already been done, and to put another V8 in the line-up at 320+k's would cost considerably more. Series 2 GT may have 320kw's, but considering the weight against Holdens vehicles that may have 300kw's, there will be little in the two in time comparisons. Thus bringing out a 320kw turbo with probably 6 speed trannies and the FPV bodykit will pump anything ozzy out there into the weeds at a fraction of the development $$ of a V8.
The top level car above this car could come in the form of a V8 GTHO which we all hope could come later.

As much as the V8 fans dont like it, Ford may have the view of future trends, development costs, and fuel consumption issues etc.

Turbo's lacking a couple of cylinders could be a very popular sight of the future....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Somehow owning a car with less than 8 cylinders does not appear to make sense.

I know that a decent WRX will give a over heavy GT more than a run for it's money, but remember GT stands for Grad Tourer.

Try drive a WRX to Perth in comfort!! (Or up a hill with 4 of your fat buddies!! - if you can get them in).

Remember, it's not just about horspower, but torque as well. And at 550nm, I would like to see a fully loaded rice burner on a long trip give me a run for my money!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re : 320kw FPV Turbo

Men,

Ford Australia will never release a locally built model that outperforms the GT. It is the king.
Remember that the opposition will release the Gen IV in the near future, with SS - 260kw, Clubsport - 300kw, GTS - 350kw, becoming a distinct possibility. Ford will have to keep that in check, try this scenario :
XR6T - 270-280kw to head off SS.
XR8 - 300kw Boss to head off Clubsport.
GT - 330-350kw supercharged Boss to head off GTS.

There is NO WAY Ford will allow a GTS to outpower the GT by 50 odd kw's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re : FPV 320kw Turbo

Men (2)

In all this excitement, I forgot to mention something very important. A very close friend of mine who works deep inside Ford Oz, told me a long time ago, even before BA's release, that Turbo XR6's were running around You Yangs ( rather rapidly mind you ) undertaking durability testing with the boost turned up, and he is someone WHO KNOWS a thing or two about Ford.
Now, how far up I here you ask, well just quietly the magic number was 280kw.

So, 320kw turbo with XR8 and GT still to go, tell him his dreamin !

P.S. Max rules !!!!!

" Were still in the game OK. That scag and his floozy..... theyre gonna die !! "

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Don't get too excited about the ones with the extra boost, they were just boosted higher to show up any potential problems with the motor, and using the higher boost would have put more strain on the internals which made the test easier.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rodderz,
I can see your point of view in respect to development. That is, Ford has pretty much ignored the V8 since the early '70s and has put more empahsis on the 6. However, Ford pretty much lost the plot in '84 and Holden didn't and because of this aussies have the rewarded the company handsomely.

Holden has been very smart in knowing that race on Sunday, sell on Monday. They have known that winning makes a big difference but Ford has not been into racing (Bathurst that is) since '73. Holden has kept a healthy product line for the enthusiast's and have remained on top.

I think that Ford knows this but battles with its internal conservative governance and the petrol heads (our good mate GP) are fighting against the woolly liberals to attain a performance presence in the market. This has now happened and I hope it will stay this way. For it to stay as it is, Ford needs to keep up with Holden.

In keeping up with Holden do you really think that a 6, irrespective of output, will capture the hearts and minds of all the petrol heads out there?? Maybe a 6 is for you but I am firmly in the school of 'there is no substitute for cubic capacity'. Ford now has a decent engine that they can play with and, maybe I am being really simple here, but for me it should be V8 against V8, not a puffed up 6. In this respect, how much time does Holden spend on hot performance 6's as compared to V8s, I think that is where the true answer lies. In other words, keeping up with the Jone's.

·
OLD SKOOL
126 Posts
paull thats because Holden havnt got a good 6 cylinder to play around with... Their getting their new 6 cylinder on VZ which is 190kw n/a, and about same torque as the Fords I6 182kw!

Some people needs to get over the fact about that a I6 Turbo can be can outperform the V8 in power and efficiency wise! Some say if FPV does bring out a Turbo 6, it will hurt the GT, why should it?

Look in the XR6T & XR8 wise! The XR6T sells so well that Ford cannot keep up with the orders! Whilst the V8 lovers still buy their XR8, they know the XR6T is quicker and efficient, but do they care? No they dont, they love the BOSS V8 and their satisfied and dont care about the XR6T!

The same thing will be for FPV I6 Turbo! the GT, v8 lovers will buy their GT's and for those who want the turbo will get theirs! Times are changing, and many many motor manufacturer is now geting Turbo cars out, like Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc.. Are those cars rice burners now?

·
OLD SKOOL
126 Posts
its a great advantage for FPV, they can sell more cars, make more money and peform better in races at the weekends!

·
Registered
59 Posts
PERVERT holdens new six makes 190kw and 320nm- about 60nm less then the fords I6. I wouldn't worry about the power differance either because ford has built into the six a device which allows each camshaft to operate inderpendlty of each other- all they need to do is map the timing requie,emts and progarm on to the computer and hay presto a more powerful six.

·
Blue Blooded Ford Man
1,619 Posts
PERVERT said:
Times are changing, and many many motor manufacturer is now geting Turbo cars out, like Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc.. Are those cars rice burners now?
BMW do not do Turbos and with the new V10 M5 comming out, it doesn't look as though they are interested in going down that path.

But, you are right, I don't think a FPV Turbo 6 would affect the GT.

But, I think it would bring other buyers to FPV.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
I prefer V8's to 6's, which is why i bought a V8. The turbo's go good but you cant get that Boss note out of them no matter how good they sound for a six.

But from Fords point of view i think a turbo at 320kw's would be easier and cheaper to release than a V8 at 320kw's. Also it will be quicker, going by the fact that a 240kw XR6T beats a 260kw XR8, due mainly to weight differences i'm assuming (along with turbo characteristics). I'm suggesting they may have hypo sixes out there because they can, and have the product and material to do it with. Having said that, i'm in the frame of mind where once a V8 owner, always a V8 owner!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
PERVERT said:
paull thats because Holden havnt got a good 6 cylinder to play around with...
What came first, the chicken or the egg? Do you really think Holden don't play around with the six because they don't have a good six to play around with, or do they not have a good six because they don't play around with it? Look at their line up, it is obvious they have left the six for the shopping trolley and concentrated on the eight.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Can we please drop this XR6T is quicker than an XR8 idea cause it is just not the case. My XR8 auto is as quick as any XR6T and I have lined up guys from work in their turbos to compare them and the XR8 takes a half car length off the line and from then on to about 180 they are totally lineball, one will not gain on the other. They just require a few more kilometers to loosen up than the turbos. Can't comment on the manuals altough the higher diff ratio and lack of traction do them no favours.

S

·
0 Posts
fordfan351 said:
FPV will never release a Turbo 6 with more power than the GT...never
You never know what is in the pipeline.

Who knows if this is true or not.

But after seeing the Capa XR8 with 400kw who knows what ford is building or has built.

Maybe this 320kw is the lowest powered car.

350 kw GT ??

370 kw GT-P or

400kw GT-HO

Not Saything this has any substance too it. but who knows. esp with holden working away at trying to kick fords but for the BA

·
OLD SKOOL
126 Posts
Ive read in a article today, it was about the new Skyline R35 GTR which will be relased in 2004 or 2005! It was something very interesting! they (nissan) are bringing out a R35 Skyline GTR V6 (the engine from the current Nissan 350 Z car) and it will be twin turbo with 230-240kw... but it doesnt end their, their also bring out an optional V8 with it and it wrote it will have more than 305+kw!

They guys are playing smart, they brang out a new engine (a V8) for their GTR platform and they know their are heaps of Turbo fans, so they didnt want to loose them, and their bringing them out it with a V6 Twin Turbo! and official information will be revealed in october Tokyo Motor Show!

That is what FPV can do, a car (a Grand Tourer) with two different engines! It would be great to see a GT-V8 and GT-I6 from FPV!

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
bossxr8 said:
Can we please drop this XR6T is quicker than an XR8 idea cause it is just not the case. My XR8 auto is as quick as any XR6T and I have lined up guys from work in their turbos to compare them and the XR8 takes a half car length off the line and from then on to about 180 they are totally lineball, one will not gain on the other. They just require a few more kilometers to loosen up than the turbos. Can't comment on the manuals altough the higher diff ratio and lack of traction do them no favours.
Sorry BOSSXR8 but it will never happen.......

Remember the truth is no defence. First there was the "6T is quicker than the GT". This was repeated ad nauseum by wannabes and ricers until finally an "official" (read some journo from a magazine) published a sub 14 sec 400m. Now it is the XR8s are slow bull. One day some article will be published showing this not to be true but this will not end the crap.
The next one will be "it is cheaper to mod a 6T to get 1000++ rwkw".

According to the above mentioned journos the SV8 is faster than a clubsport too.

I wonder if the 6T & SV8 stories are really just marketing aimed at poaching sales from the VL turbo, R32, Supra etc povvo revhead demographic?

61 - 80 of 103 Posts