Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my dads mustang and parts before he could teach me everything. I have 4 blocks, 3 sets of heads, 3 cranks, a dozen or more cams, ect....
I want to rebuild at least one of these motors in his honor. It was a NHRA stock eliminator race car. I want to race it 1 or 2 times a year, and cruise around town from car show to car show. So a street/race car. I was thinking around 12:1 compression and or around 500 hp?
How do I pick which block to use with which heads and crank? Thank You for any knowledge You can share.
blocks
2 are D2AE-CA 1 of which is an Australian block, DOAE-J, DOAE-L
heads
D1AE-GA 4V closed chamber, D1ZE-DA 4V open chamber with 100 stamped on the end and the center water ports silicon sealed, D3ZE-AA 4V open chamber
cranks
2 are 4MA 1 is marked .10,
13876 is a GAPP-ROUSH crank engraved with .010 .101 and some other info including my dads name

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Hi

Technically all of those parts are interchangeable so you may be able to build an engine out of any combo but some of the parts may have been machined for certain things your dad wanted to achieve.

I am guessing all of the blocks have 4 bolt mains if your dad was racing. There is a suggestion that Aussie casted blocks may be stronger but I don't think thats been proved.

A 4 bolt block would be the best to choose over a 2 bolt.

The closed chamber heads usually yield higher compression and the quench type chamber tends to help stop detonation at the higher compressions.

4ma cranks are the good Ford cranks

Im sure a Roush crank would be very good.

Im not sure if this has been any help to you but if theres anything else you want to know about then we will give it a go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I didn't know if one combination was better than another. None seem to be Boss. The difference is going to be what has been done previously to them.
How do You chose from a dozen or so cams? or do I buy a new one?
Thanks again, Chris

·
Super Moderator
7,984 Posts
If EFI is allowed in the class you're racing, I suggest you go that route over carburetor. A quick change of a tune is relatively easy with EFI and it makes it a more street friendly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts