Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just put together my first engine, with the specs as follows.

351 Cleveland 40thou oversize
2V Closed chamber heads with light clean up of ports and chamber
Cast piston and rings
Edelbrock Performer manifold with 600 vac sec Holley
Speed Pro Cam ([email protected] intake [email protected])

The thing is that its not happy to run at any less than around 25degrees BTDC at idle. I check the the timing marks on the balancer and the TDC mark definately lines up with piston TDC. I run on premium unleaded only, and have not had any issues with pinging, and it seems to start real easy and runs well. Just thought that 25 degrees at idle was a bit excessive for a fairly mild cam.

·
Registered
661 Posts
what rpm are you idling at? 25 is excessive as far as idling is concerned.I would think that with a combo like that around 12 would be a good starting point.If you are idling too high then chances are that your dissy has thrown the weights out and hence your reading.have you disconnected your vac advance? did you have the vac advance line in the right carby port?

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
Would have to agree something is definately amiss there and if the balancer is not spun it must be the dizzy (assuming the cam timing is correct in relation to the crank)

Try another dizzy in it but be aware that there are different shaft sizes in Clevo blocks so just because it goes in doesn't make it the right one ( search for other threads here that cover this)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the timing without the vac advance connected and it still seems to be around 25deg. Cam timing was set at zero on the timing chain (triple checked that when I put it together). When i statically time it, the rotor seems to be in the firing position when the balancer is reading 12deg. Idle speed is roughly 800-900rpm, not exactly sure as I dont have a tacho. The dissy is out of an XE V8, and I have replaced the bottom bush with a needle roller bearing and checked the mech advanced. It all looks ok, but prehaps the springs are stretched and allowing mechanical advance at low rpm. Either way it runs so well at the current position that I dont think I will fiddle with it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
piston to deck clearance as standard. pistons are OEM type cast, and as far as I am aware the block has not been decked (could not be 100% sure)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
35Coupe
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing