1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
proffesional stupid head
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

i was wondering what the costs would be to build a Fuel injected 351

I can get the engine built for the price of parts

but i was wondering how much the EFI gear would cost and how much power id expect to get

also would i be able to run it on Unleaded without 'pinging'

Thank you,
gearb0x

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Pete (AKA: XR9UTE) would be the best one to ask about this I think he has done many EFI 8's including an Injected 351 into an XR and possibly an injected 351 into an XE ute... so he knows a bit about doing the work and the equipment involved

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Are you talking about Clevo or Windsor?

X

·
0 Posts
Hi Gearb0x,

Yes you can do either a 351W or 351C(or any other Ford engine for that matter)using all Ford electronics(of course!). You can run unleaded and make massive power if you like.
Check out my poor old 351W EFI XR and a rather old and cliche'd U.S. article about my 351C EFI XE ute;

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/05/falconute/index.shtml

http://www.trueblueford.com/66'XRfalconEFI351wconversion.htm

Also Check out Thomas' Pantera where he used a modifed TFS-R 351W intake fitted to his cleveland;

http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/efi/

After that jump back on here if you have any more specific questions.

Pete.

·
proffesional stupid head
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a question to Pete...

i was wondering if you could go into any detail about how you make the intake manifolds, its just interesting how you can turn a tunnel ram manifold into a fully functional EFI manifold, with a upper intake made out of aluminium (RE: XE ute)

(or is it top secret stuff :p )

X

·
0 Posts
Ok,
We use a tunnel ram base because it is relatively low profile and has nearly equal length runners. Once a plenum dimension is worked out you can decide on how to shape and form trumpets on the top of the runners protruding into the plenum area.
Sometimes if bonnet clearance is not an issue you can sit the plenum base on top of ram base. On most bigblock engines it will need to actually fit over the ram base runners slightly.
Generally we use factory fuel rails as reference for correct injector angles(On my cleveland we actually used F-series 351w fuel rails).
NOTE: many aftermarket carb intakes converted to accept injectors have the WRONG injector angle. Their reasoning is "Ahhh it doesn't make any difference anyway". Let me tell you people THAT IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Their problem is the assumption that you are using a bank fired system rather than SEFI. A pretty poor assumption when all passenger car Ford V8's use SEFI.
Once the plenum is fitted a suitable throttle body or bodies are mounted. A Plenum size of approx the capacity of the engine is desirable.

Pete.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Pete..have you got any detailed drawings/pics/words on this ... I want to inject my cleveland (one day!) and want to get as much info as possible

X

·
0 Posts
XA coupe said:
Pete..have you got any detailed drawings/pics/words on this ... I want to inject my cleveland (one day!) and want to get as much info as possible
Well Thomas' and my XR website spell it out pretty well.
The Ford muscle article is a bit vague really.
In fact Thomas' modified 351W intake is a good way to go to increase torque production. Long runners are what's required for the best torque.
When I did my cleveland there was no large port 351W EFI intakes available.
Now there are two(three if you count the BXR) 351W Intakes that can be modified to suit; TFS-R and Edelbrock Victor 5.8.
I'll attach some of the photos that I do have.

Pete.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
thanks pete .. I have read the article on the pantera but am still not exaclty sure about a coouple of things .. probably because I dont know a heap about FI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts