Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here on the forum.

Ill be honest, i'm not new to to forums, but i'm terrible about keeping up on them.

my main reason to join forums is to pick the brains of others who are more knowledgeable than me. Im not exactly new to mechanics, but ill also be the first to admit im pretty green when it comes to knowlege.

I have an 1988 Ford Bronco full size. It has a 302 with a 5-speed manual transmission. Ive always felt that the motor was kinda gutless. to add to the gutless motor, it was a gas hog. best mileage i ever got with it was 12 mpg, and i had a stiff tailwind on top of that. i've decided a few years ago i want to upgrade the motor. since im not getting [email protected] for mileage, i figured id get some power to go along with it.

here is my question: what motor should a guy stick in that thing? I assumed the bigger the better. I was thinking a 390, but a buddy informed me that a 351 might be the way to go. He said that 351s have a way bigger aftermarket part selection, and i could very well squeeze more power out of a 351 than i could a 390.

Id like some input from people that are more knowledgeable than me.

what say you?

Andy

·
Super Moderator
1,444 Posts
You really can’t go wrong with either one but the 351w will be easier to swap in since it was an option. I can’t say about the aftermarket but the small blocks do have a good aftermarket, not sure about the 390.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,544 Posts
Moved from New member introduction , better chance for you to get replies or advice '
Welcome to the forum .

This section is meant as a place for you to introduce yourself or ask questions about Fordforums.com. Basically, feel free to post something about yourself or describe what you drive, but if you have a specific question about your vehicle this isn't the best place to ask. More in-depth and technical questions about your vehicle should be asked in the correct area. Please take a minute and look for the correct vehicle type and or technical area and post your question there.

Thanks
Fordforums Admin/Moderator Team

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new member here on the forum.

Ill be honest, i'm not new to to forums, but i'm terrible about keeping up on them.

my main reason to join forums is to pick the brains of others who are more knowledgeable than me. Im not exactly new to mechanics, but ill also be the first to admit im pretty green when it comes to knowlege.

I have an 1988 Ford Bronco full size. It has a 302 with a 5-speed manual transmission. Ive always felt that the motor was kinda gutless. to add to the gutless motor, it was a gas hog. best mileage i ever got with it was 12 mpg, and i had a stiff tailwind on top of that. i've decided a few years ago i want to upgrade the motor. since im not getting [email protected] for mileage, i figured id get some power to go along with it.

here is my question: what motor should a guy stick in that thing? I assumed the bigger the better. I was thinking a 390, but a buddy informed me that a 351 might be the way to go. He said that 351s have a way bigger aftermarket part selection, and i could very well squeeze more power out of a 351 than i could a 390.

Id like some input from people that are more knowledgeable than me.

what say you?

Andy
If you go with the 351 you'll be able to use same motor mounts and bell housing , provided it's a Windsor and not a Cleveland. If you go with a 390, which is an FE series, motor mounts and bell housing are going to be different, not to mention exhaust. 390 definitely will make more horsepower easier, lot of factory parts off of 406, 427 and 428 will interchange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you go with the 351 you'll be able to use same motor mounts and bell housing , provided it's a Windsor and not a Cleveland. If you go with a 390, which is an FE series, motor mounts and bell housing are going to be different, not to mention exhaust. 390 definitely will make more horsepower easier, lot of factory parts off of 406, 427 and 428 will interchange.
351 is a little taller, will require some tweeking with the exhaust, but is the best choice. The FE series, one of Ford's great engines, is about dead. Parts are hard to come by and pricey. If you want radical power, the 351 has a strong aftermarket following. If you want reliability and the ability to buy parts easily, the 351 is the one.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts