Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m ready give up on this thing. So my 351w in my 1973 Mercury Montego was just running fine 2 weeks ago, and it’s been on and off since I’ve bought it, which has been almost 1 year. Sometimes it would run, and then I’d take it to a shop, and they’d fix it or I’d just fix something myself. But it’s been so inconsistent ever since I got it. Here’s what’s up with it: engine has 185k miles on it, with a completely new ignition system. Plugs, wires, distributor, cap and rotor, coil, all new. Fuel system wise, the previous owner replaced the pump, the tank and I put a new sending unit on it, along with a brand new 4 barrel edlebrock carb with a new fuel filter. The fuel lines are decent, but a shop apparently found that they were clogged up, so they cleared them out not too long ago. It also has a new 4 Barrel intake manifold on it. And now, it’s been sitting for a few days with brand new gas in the tank. Before all this, it would just run very badly, especially if you pressed down on the throttle. It would bog down and stall and then once you let go, it would run okay, with slight sputtering. Now, it won’t even fire up. Even when I sprayed starting fluid in it. It just fires for a second, acting like it’s about to, and then just go back to continuous cranking. I see gas squiring out of the 2 front barrels of the carb, so I assume it is getting fuel, and enough of it. So my last guess it that this thing has bad compression. Does any one know what else I should do at this point to make it run??

·
Super Moderator
21,053 Posts
If it's bogging down on the throttle , that is usually indicative of carb accelerator pump not function correctly . Might be a good idea to strip down , clean , check the carb .Checking the compressions wouldn't go wrong also .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's bogging down on the throttle , that is usually indicative of carb accelerator pump not function correctly . Might be a good idea to strip down , clean , check the carb .Checking the compressions wouldn't go wrong also .
would it matter if the carb is only a month new? And yeah, I think I’m gonna get the compression tested, cause if that’s the case then time for an engine overhaul....

·
Super Moderator
21,053 Posts
Should have added that if timing was out it can cause bogging down / flatspot . Also any vac leaks .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have added that if timing was out it can cause bogging down / flatspot . Also any vac leaks .
I suspect it could be timing, cause I let it sit for a week or so and when I got back it started and ran for 5 seconds or so and died. And today, it did it again, and then wouldn’t start again. Also, a flame spat out of the carb so that could indicate that the timing could be off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing out or firing order mixed up can give you blowbacks through the carb .

I’ll take a look at the wires and make sure they haven’t been messed with, and if all is well, me and my buddy will look at it with his timing light, and do a compression test as well. Hopefully I can get it up and running...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts