Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
strange cattle them women
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys, just stripping down a 351windsor for a new project of mine, and found it to be @40" over. I want to run a 427 set up in this thing, with about 520-550hp target, so has anyone out there run big numbers through a 51 windsor, at 40, or 60 over?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am reliably informed by my engine builder that the max overbore for all but the c90E blocks ( 1969) is 40 thou.

I sold a 351W block from 1969 ( which was already 40thou) to a mate of mine to go into his race car. He went 60 thou and I saw it on the DYNO making 500HP plus at the fly wheel and to date no issues with the block on the track.

He did however, do a cylinder wall thickness test on the block at 60 thou to make sure there was enough mean to do what he wanted.

But as far as I know the 1969 and some of the 70 blocks, being the first of the 351W blocks made were the only ones with the extra meat in the cylinders. Code you will be looking for in a 1970 block would be D00E

After 1970 Ford revised the specifications including the block height. ( makes getting the right pistons from the states fun!).

Good luck.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
.040 should be o/k use pistons that are capable of runing tighter clearances...As in Clevelands. Its the rattling and side load that splits bores as well....

·
BLOWNXD
429 Posts
mines bored 30thou with 408 cubes and 11.1 comp which were increasing to 13.1 to run methanol we had the engine sonic tested first and it came up trumps, but i have been told not to push them past 40though especially when stroked + high HP. I was the told the most HP a 351w standard block would handle was 700hp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts