Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guys say that Ford should change the 5.4 to 5.8 for a Falcon GT.
How about a 351 Windsor?...that engine would fit, though it may be heavier and not as advanced as the 4.6 or 5.4 but it is a standard 351.
Ford has the parts available to make it a good performance engine and there are probably still heaps of new engines left over to make a limited run of GT's.
Just a thought.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
when my mate in the states found that warehouse with all those engines, the ones he thought were clevo's and they were'nt. in this one warehouse alone was 15,000 engines plus destined for heavy duty.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Yeah i agree that the 5.4 might not be enough cubes to match the 5.7 of the dark side. I've always wanted ford to bring on the 351 winsdor into the falcon. As a guide the Saleen Mustang S351 makes 495Hp, thats power.
But i guess the thing we have on our side is that the GenIII makes it's power up top, if the 5.4 has a mid range characteristic we might be able to bridge the gap of 300cc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I guess I'm a little old fashioned would've loved too see a 351 Windsor in a GT as they had in the ol' days ( no chance for a Clevo ) before these new engines come in.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Guess which car I saw at FDC today? A 351 GT EB. Felicity stood firm about the bonnet thing :nuts: but this little black duck likes floor scrubbing with my face and may have seen that it fits okay. Now, when we have the numbers in October maybe more will be revealed?

BTW; the issue with Ford isn't so much whether the engine ends up fitting. It is also a case of whether the dressed engine can be shoved up the guts on the assy line. I suppose that is where simple people like me don't quite get it right.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i'm not mistaken Ford load their engines into the cars from underneath right?

·
7,777 Posts
gtho4 said:
If i'm not mistaken Ford load their engines into the cars from underneath right?
Correct. The apparatus is called an "Engine Stuffer" if you believe 'Discovery'.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine Stuffer!... now there's a high tech name I would never thought of.

Oooooo! I reached 100 hundred posts.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Hmm sources revieled, that the 351 can fit in the E series cars, as Venom S mentioned on another thread that there is a EB 5.8 going around in the penrith area.

Makes me abit disaapointed that ford didn't put it in for the the EB GT. :( :( :( :( :(
And the power output on the EB GT didn't help either.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Guess which car I saw at FDC today? A 351 GT EB.
You sure it's not an EA pete?? When I was there last I could've sworn it was based on the EA Fairmont. Even has the fairmont badge on the rear doesn't it?? :confused:

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man said:
You sure it's not an EA pete?? When I was there last I could've sworn it was based on the EA Fairmont. Even has the fairmont badge on the rear doesn't it?? :confused:
Someone's lifted the badge off the rear so I wouldn't know about that. It may well have been an EA shell, however it's kitted up like an EB. Next to no difference really when you think EA-EB.

·
Administrator
4,983 Posts
Nice thought gtho4. As you say it is the right displacement for a GT but i am expecting that the Windsor even with a few more cubes mite still struggle up against a hi tech 5.4. I would hate to see a top end model like a GT be lacklustre against a lower model 5.4. The Windsor is nearing it's end i'm afraid. I hope we see a bit more life out of it in the stroked Tickford version until the new setup arrives. I hope there is room for a little extra displacement in the new modular engine for our special models.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
You guys wanting a bigger displacement than 5.4 might be in for a surprise if some stories are to be believed.
For me 5.4 would be big enough provided I get all the high tech stuff that my good friends at BMW develop:wink2:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
HSE2 said:
You guys wanting a bigger displacement than 5.4 might be in for a surprise if some stories are to be believed.
For me 5.4 would be big enough provided I get all the high tech stuff that my good friends at BMW develop:wink2:
Yeh, true HSE2. You only have to look at the power outputs of the M5 5L V8 or to a greater extent the M3 six. The "M" must stand for madness. :evil: Efficiency & Technology is the key. :thumbup:
Rastus.

·
7,777 Posts
A close friend from my HSV days has a CSV 330kW machine. Guess it wasn't enough because he's just ordered a stroker conversion off CSV. So, we now need at least 6.2 litres guys!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Over the years displacement trends have gone up and down. I personally don't think this trend towards large dispalcement will continue. Not that long ago manufactures went back to below 4 litre V8s and since then the figure has slowly increased. Since then the price of fuel has gone up and the days of the combustion engine as we know it are on the way down!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Pete,

You must be talkin about Corsa Veloce, yeah gotta admit it goes like the clappers got the write up about it. Yeah we need our alloys bad, and cubies. Oh yeah in the latest Motor did anyone read that a blower on an LS1 makes 365kw :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hmmmm more power ford i say....

·
7,777 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Pete,
You must be talkin about Corsa Veloce.......
I think the Veloce is only 300kW.
The 330kW car is called a CSV Strada Extreme SiR (top of the range).

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Pete,

Yeah just whipped out my motor mag with the comparo of the GTS300 and Veloce 330. I'm pretty sure the Veloce is top of Corsa as this car is costs $109,990 :)eek: :eek: expensive for a commo)

Although GTS is only 300 with the 20k price diff i'd take the GTS more smoother than Corsa if i was buying a holden,
not that i will though :p :p

·
7,777 Posts
Okay - I'll find out what the Strada Extreme SiR is then. If I remember right the Extreme is the top line because friend paid more than that :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts