Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Never enough Horse Power
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
351C 2V what HP ? Any Ideas

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone would have an idea on what HP I could be looking at out of my motor and what extra I would get with a new manifold. Details are below in my signature,
Someone must have a motor similar to this.
I have not had it on the dyno yet and it maybe a while before I do.

Thanks Heaps

·
Registered
868 Posts
A Factory 4-Barrel 351 with single exhaust and standard manifolds is rated at /or close to 300 HP . A standard 2-barrel version is even rated at 250 ...So I don't think I am that far off with he's engine specs .

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would have no idea unless I knew a little more. What cam, know the specs? chev rods, Is it stroked? . Are the heads std 2v open and have they had any work done?

·
Never enough Horse Power
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the motor was built just before I bought it I have been told a Stage 3 crow cam that works about 2500rpm upwards which means nothing to me but it is bloody lumpy at idle. Also I was told it has a ground & offset crank but I couldn't Gaurantee it. Heads as far as I know are standard.

·
Never enough Horse Power
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am getting the sub enclosure cusomized so I can take it out when I run on the track as it weighs about 80kg.

·
Registered
84 Posts
sick zk,

Dont worry about hp estimates and dont become a dyno queen (they are GAY)

Take it to the track and you will know what hp its putting out

Chassis dynos are GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Never enough Horse Power
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Im goin to the May forums run but was just curious thats all.

·
Never enough Horse Power
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With me and the Stereo the car weighs about 1900kg so it will interesting to see what I will run. Can't wait as I am getting a 3.7 or 3.9 centre for the 9" which will help as its got a 2.75 now.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
lukeh said:
A Factory 4-Barrel 351 with single exhaust and standard manifolds is rated at /or close to 300 HP . A standard 2-barrel version is even rated at 250 ...So I don't think I am that far off with he's engine specs .
Not true. Factory listed flywheel KW for a 4 barrel (4V) later model Cleveland is 160KW @ 4300rpm. That's 217HP, . The 2V was 149KW @ 4300 rpm, and that's 203HP. So your way off.

XY Phase 3 GTHO motors were rumoured to be 220KW, which is 299HP. XA phase IV rumoured to be a bit more than that.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
slaves wage said:
sick zk,

Dont worry about hp estimates and dont become a dyno queen (they are GAY)

Take it to the track and you will know what hp its putting out

Chassis dynos are GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can you say Chassis dynos are gay?

What basis do you have for a comment like that?

Or are you just generalizing?

Do you have a few spare engine dynos in your shed?

·
Registered
84 Posts
How can you Chassis dynos are gay?.................... please explain

What basis do you have for a comment like that?

Or are you just generalizing?....... Holden owners love them as they can be manipulated where a drag strip cannot.

Do you have a few spare engine dynos in your shed? .... would you like to buy one?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't know where you get your figures from I believe it is you who are way off . A standard 250-2V 6 Cylinder was Factory rated at 170HP and was'nt a 302-2V Windsor rated at 200 HP . A standard XY GT 351-4V Cleveland was rated at 290 or 300HP , So a Phase III HO must have put out at least 350 HP, maybe more??? The only mistake I made was confuse the later model detuned 351-4V [Small Port] Specs with the earlier ones . I have a Ford XR-XY Genuine Spare Parts Catalogue at home with most of the mentioned specs listed ??? I can double check when I get home.

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
how can a rear sway bar and heavy duty shocks give an extra 50HP?
HO... Handling Option

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Handling Option = name to keep insurers happy.
In reality the engine was a lot different, cam, extractors and all the other goodies.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
lukeh said:
I don't know where you get your figures from I believe it is you who are way off . A standard 250-2V 6 Cylinder was Factory rated at 170HP and was'nt a 302-2V Windsor rated at 200 HP . A standard XY GT 351-4V Cleveland was rated at 290 or 300HP , So a Phase III HO must have put out at least 350 HP, maybe more??? The only mistake I made was confuse the later model detuned 351-4V [Small Port] Specs with the earlier ones . I have a Ford XR-XY Genuine Spare Parts Catalogue at home with most of the mentioned specs listed ??? I can double check when I get home.
lukeh I was talking Clevelands all the way through. I remembered the figures off hand but before posting I looked them up to make sure. So the figures I quoted are as printed in either the Ford owners manual or 'Motor' or 'Wheels' test specs from the era. Also seen many articles with the same figures quoted. So let me know if you turn anything else up.

Also from having a number of Clevo's and getting them assessed with track times etc, I can say that a 300HP Clevo is not standard by any means. XY GTHO's (they were the quickest tested Oz Ford) did a 14.7 quarter, with weight at nearly 1700kg, works out about 270HP...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Okay STROKEXD , read on and you will learn something...Here are Factory Ford Horsepower ratings as taken today directly from Falcon XR-XY Spare Parts Catalogue , Supplied to all Authorised Ford Spare Parts Dealers by Ford Motor Company Of Australia approx 1970-1971. I happen to have a Copy . 289-2V Windsor 200 HP... 289-4V Windsor 225 HP... 302-2V Windsor 210 HP... 302-4V Windsor 230 HP[Look at front guard badges of XT GT]... 351-4V Windsor 290 HP... 351-4V Phase I HO Windsor 300 HP... 351-4V Cleveland 300 HP . There was no Horsepower Rating Given for XY GT HO Phase III 351-4V Engine . However , David of GT Ford Performance ,Vic quotes the Factory rating of this engine being... '380- Horsepower ' . He also say's that this figure is fairly accurate and that many of his customers who have performed 'Standard Rebuilds' of they're Phase III engines have Dynoed between 380-400 Horsepower. I know that Factory figures are not always accurate , sometimes they are under... sometimes they are over , But in this case they seem to be fairly accurate , except in maybe 'Bizzare-O-World'...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.