Ford Forums banner

351C stroked to 400 cubes vs 400M

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
351 XE on LPG
Joined
·
743 Posts
Thanks very much Kionga. I really appreciate your detailed response.

I wonder what the C/R would be with stock flat-tops and 2VCC heads.
What would you consider to be a "desirable C/R" ?

What is the make and grind of the hydraulic that you are not happy with ?
The profile appears to be very docile for a 408 cuber.
Any idea what the lobe centreline angles are on both cams ?
Why the change to a solid grind ?

Do you think a manual steering box would give more room then the power steering one?
Would the 4 into 1 extractors be easier to fit then the Tri-Y's ?

I'd consider ditching the clutch fan for EF/EL twin thermos. You'll need a bigger alternator and a decent battery, but boy do they work well. They also dont take up as much room as the clutched unit, plus mine automatically turn off when I'm cruising, thus reducing alternator drag and increasing economy. I'll never have another belt driven fan again.

Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Hello Rhett.
Yes, the hydraulic cam was fairly docile, but remember the stock cams for these motors when they were put into Galaxies and F-series trucks made mine look radical! The stock dished pistons were cast numbers and compression was roughly 8.0-8.5:1! Flat top pistons for the 400 are considered aftermarket. Lobe separation for my hydraulic cam was 110 degrees and it was sold to me by Clive Cams in Nunawading. Current solid is 108 degrees.
Why did I go solid? Good question. Better response, good sound, good foundation for later strip work. I guess the need to periodically adjust the valve clearances will mean at least the rocker cover gaskets get renewed and save excessive oil leaks. I don't have any definite reason.
I once considered twin thermo fans for the XD. As you say Rhett, thermos work well. I just feel a bit spooked by the possibility the thermostat will fail in peak hour traffic on a 40C day! I will try the severe duty clutch fan first and see how it goes with the 4 core radiator. I do have a single thermo pusher fan on the front of the condensor and hooked up to come on when the air con is switched on. I think for the time being the condensor can come out-will help with air flow-to accomodate the 4 core radiator. Will renew the air con system with a more recent/efficient condensor and compressor. May put two slim line twin thermos as pusher fans to help the clutch fan. Unfortunately not a lot of room in the front of an XD.
A manual steering box might help, but the gain will be small. It was more the hydraulic lines that were a problem, but they can be rotated slightly to help clearance issues.
I don't know if the 4 into 1 extractors would fit any better. I saw Pacemaker 4 into 1s in an XE with a 351 Cleveland and it appeared they would fit better when compared with my Lukey Tri-Ys. This is just an impression though. Could be all BS!
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Craig
 

·
351 XE on LPG
Joined
·
743 Posts
Thanks again Craig.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having the thermos fail in traffic, (not that mine has). For peace of mind I installed a seperate temp switch to activate a reversing alarm that I mounted under the bonnet on the firewall. It will go off if the temp reaches 90 degrees C. This gives me a safe buffer. Cheap and easy to setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
ZK 351 said:
i also have a dual plane 4 barrel edlebrock performer manifold for a 400, (and the rest of the engine) also have a set of mounts. and extractors, that were all in a guys XD at one stage.... ...
ZK , just wondering where the motor came from ?.
Maybe a long shot , but it sounds like the 400 I had in my XD ute .
I sold it to a guy near Ballarat .

Cheers
 
G

·
speedzter said:
ZK , just wondering where the motor came from ?.
Maybe a long shot , but it sounds like the 400 I had in my XD ute .
I sold it to a guy near Ballarat .

Cheers
came from parkes NSW, as far as i know, the guys brother i bought it off built it up out of a stock 400
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I have a 400m built and this is a list:


Weand intake port matched
2v heads ported, with some work i did to chamber to unshroud exh. valve
2.19 set of stainless valves
1.89 stainless sodium filled exh.
mill heads down to square and get 69cc chambers
comp cam roller rockers
comp cam roller cam and lifters with .609 filt
comp cam custom push rods and guide plates
true roller chain and indexed gear
keith black pistons with 13cc dish (for a clevelend)
rods were polished, maged, shot peened and arp bolts installed
the rods also had to be bushinged to fit the small pin from clevelend piston
chamfered oil holes and polished crank
full rotating balance
arp intake bolts
arp head studs
arp main studs and girdle
deck block from 79 thou stock to 10
block was punched to 30 over and torque plated to finish hone
block was sonick tanked and sonic tested for wall thickness
headman 1 5/8 long tube headers
hi volume oil pump
arp pump drive
msd distributer
digital 6 msd box
edelbrock nitrous plate (100hp shot)


The engine is still on the stand and should be put in by the end of sep. I will post a dyno result when done. My vote is for the 400m
 

·
Death by Ford
Joined
·
316 Posts
curt79 said:
I have a 400m built and this is a list:


Weand intake port matched
2v heads ported, with some work i did to chamber to unshroud exh. valve
2.19 set of stainless valves
1.89 stainless sodium filled exh.
mill heads down to square and get 69cc chambers
comp cam roller rockers
comp cam roller cam and lifters with .609 filt
comp cam custom push rods and guide plates
true roller chain and indexed gear
keith black pistons with 13cc dish (for a clevelend)
rods were polished, maged, shot peened and arp bolts installed
the rods also had to be bushinged to fit the small pin from clevelend piston
chamfered oil holes and polished crank
full rotating balance
arp intake bolts
arp head studs
arp main studs and girdle
deck block from 79 thou stock to 10
block was punched to 30 over and torque plated to finish hone
block was sonick tanked and sonic tested for wall thickness
headman 1 5/8 long tube headers
hi volume oil pump
arp pump drive
msd distributer
digital 6 msd box
edelbrock nitrous plate (100hp shot)


The engine is still on the stand and should be put in by the end of sep. I will post a dyno result when done. My vote is for the 400m
Sounds good, can't wait to see the results:driver: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Well I got in now and, got it all set up. I have not been able to put it on the dyno yet but it goes like a s.o.b. For the people who think that 400s suck lets see you lay posi. 31s for 3/4 of a block with 3.55 gears and stock c6 converter.:booty:
 

·
Getting bigger
Joined
·
383 Posts
Mmmmm....... Nice!

I ran a fairly standard 400ci in my F150, it ran a mild cam, and dual plane edelbrock manifold, with straight LPG, and it was as quick as a 3.8V6 Commodore at the lights, with 3.5 gears and 35" tyres. Not bad for 2.5 ton.

The new motor I'm building is 6/71, dual Dominators, solid cam, ported big valve heads and otherwise fairly standard. Just a trial motor, to see how it all goes, before I try and get a stronger crank/rods/pistons combo.
 

·
Getting bigger
Joined
·
383 Posts
Just balanced bottom end, arp bolts/studs, good sump etc. It is a bit of a test engine, not really for power, more for show.
As there is no supercharger kit for these, I am basicly using this motor to make it fit, and work. Later on, i will build another, and then try and make some power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
at least parts a easy to for a 351 stroker and 400s are getting rare an the other hand go for the windsor and stroke at least the block has some meat
 

·
Getting bigger
Joined
·
383 Posts
Their blower manifold is crap, it is just a singleplane manifold with a flat plate welded to the top....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
The Feb. '07 issue of Hot Rod has a build of a 400. Offset ground the crank for 4.2 inch stroke, narrowed K1 chevy 6.3 inch rods, & 340 Dodge pistons. Edelbrock 351C-2V heads, Crane cam 234 @ .050. 10.6 comp ratio, 505HP
 

·
Getting bigger
Joined
·
383 Posts
I often wonder about US horse power figures, they always seem optimistic.
Anyone else noticed that? Do they measure differently there? All the crate motors seem to have a lot of power, considering.
 

·
Getting bigger
Joined
·
383 Posts
It would be interesting to see if anyone has checked the output on a engine dyno of one of these crate motors, to see if they are the real deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
CRUSHU F150 said:
It would be interesting to see if anyone has checked the output on a engine dyno of one of these crate motors, to see if they are the real deal.
The picture of the 400 shows it's the old "Gross" rating, engine only
 
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Top