Ford Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Given ambient temps, the last time I drove it I don't believe it got above forty degrees F.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
That's quite odd, I doubt its vapor lock. It may be time to swap out the carb to see if it helps. I don't like to recommend throwing parts at cars to fix a problems but sometimes it's the only way to fix a problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Since it wasn't started in nearly a week, and it's been cold, I started it up to give it a little exercise and tend the battery. It ran smoothly for a couple hours without stalling once. I haven't done anything to it yet. I want to believe it fixed itself, but that's foolishness.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ran it to work again today. High of 32 degrees F outside. Perfect run to work. Stalled twice in quick succession halfway home.

Now, I think I have a coolant leak. The coolant level drops. Oil is normal, no puddles under the car. I suspect it to be an intake manifold leak, with coolant leaking into the fuel/air mixture. If true, would that cause this kind of stalling?

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
Couldn't tell you the temp. It only has an idiot light. Planning on adding a few gauges to address some missing info I'm accustomed to having, but haven't done it yet. As for traffic patterns, pretty much the same both ways. First and last thirds are easy going, middle is typically congested.

Now, when you say valve, are you referring to the needle valve in the bowl, or the bowl vent solenoid valve?

Sorry... forgot you're carbeurated. Just the vent blocked, forget the valve.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
Could be, My rule of thumb in trouble shooting mysteries: get the things you know aren't to spec, then go for the problem. If you know you have a leak, get it fixed. Same recommendation for old plugs, wires, filters, etc., even belts if they may be slipping.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, already did a full tune up, all new belts and hoses, and carb rebuild. The coolant leaks seems new, so I haven't had opportunity to do anything about it yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like the stalling is fixed. I replaced the ignition control module a few weeks ago and it hasn't stalled since.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts