Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum and to fords so please help me out!!

I have a 351W in my boat but after the a long period of no use and the salt air the enine has become seized and extremely rusted in the bores. Well I have com to the conclusion that I need to remove and replace or rebuild it.

So here comes my question I have a 302 that I pulled that ran great about two weeks ago, but I dont have the heads. I was wondering if I could rebuild the 351W heads and put them on the 302 block. Also would the oil pan from the 351W work on the 302?

thanks for any help in advance, will

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Oil pan won't fit..The rear main is bigger..The 351 W have massive mains...
Yes the heads will fit, but check compression??
The 351 might not be as bad as it looks...
Have you considered runing a heat exchanger? So coolant can run through engine...It will save you heaps in the end!!! Water to water heat exchangers don't need to be very big...

·
Registered
868 Posts
If they are early 351 Windsor Heads,then the Water Jackets on them are the wrong shape and won't match the Inlet Manifold.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
U may find u have to use longer head bolts as 351W heads have bigger ports and r physically taller. Look up SVO Motorsport catalogue for part number or ARP and get head studs (recommmended)

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Umm the 351 has 1/2 inch head bolts the 302 has 7/16.[Unless you have 302R or Dart block] God knows why ??? The pushrods are longer on 351 due to higher dech height..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a heat exchanger on there but During winter water atually came in through the engine covers and went through the carb and rusted the cyliders and pistons very badly.

Will the 351W front cover work on my 302?

thanks, will

·
Registered
278 Posts
willyc said:
I do have a heat exchanger on there but During winter water atually came in through the engine covers and went through the carb and rusted the cyliders and pistons very badly.

Will the 351W front cover work on my 302?

thanks, will
Same timing chain covers if 302 is early type
late type is different

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So would I be able to use the 351W heads on my 302? Has anyone tried it before? Please more input!!

thanks, will

·
Registered
868 Posts
willyc said:
So would I be able to use the 351W heads on my 302? Has anyone tried it before? Please more input!!

thanks, will
As I said...the Water Jackets or Passages on the ends of the Heads may be incorrectly shaped and not match up...you should check them out for starters!!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The 5.0 ltr heads and 351 are the same..With the exception of bigger holes in head for 1/2 inch head bolts...

·
Registered
40 Posts
All the small block Windsor heads will interchange,but the main concern is Compression.
The 302w head has 63cc volume & the 351(up to '77) has approx 60.4 cc, so you'll loose a little compression.(Shaving the heads will pick it back up.Have a yarn to a good machinist!) You will gain a little flow with the slightly larger valves & ports of the 351.
As already mentioned you can get the stepped shoulder bolts from ARP,Edelbrock ect & the standard 302 intake manifold gaskets can be used with the L shaped water passage in the 351 heads.
351 gaskets will have 4 extra bolt holes at each end,to fit a 351 inlet & can also be used.
Greg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your right!!
The 60.3 cc 302 head is the '68 302w head.The head on the 4v motor,that year only,was 53.5cc
The '69-'76 302 head is approx 58.2cc........that's where I figured the slight compression loss.
Might be time to get my eyes checked! :hy:
Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts