Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 1993 bronco and i have have to replace the engine. it has a 351w/5.8l that's bone stock. i'm thinking of replaceing it with a 1993 lightning 351w/5.8l. will i have to change ahything else (i.e. injectors, computor, etc.). thanks for any help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'd recommend new injectors (24lb) and a Lightning-specific computer. I never trust old injectors on a new motor. I believe the Lightning computer would have much better timing curves and whatnot. However, instead of going through the hassle of all the Lightning-type stuff, just get aftermarket intakes, Lightning throttle body ($50 on eBay all day long), and get some GT40 heads from a 1996 Explorer. It'd be better than a Lightning motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, and it already has gt-40 heads. any other ideas? thanks......

·
Registered
833 Posts
If it already has GT40 heads, you won't see much improvement by swapping to a Lightning-spec motor. The only differences will be cam and intakes, POSSIBLY injectors (but I doubt it). Get a good cam and aftermarket intake combo (I'd strongly recommend Edelbrock Performer RPM equipment) and a Lightning ECM (computer) and you'll be running like a Lightning. It's that simple.

What kind of exhaust are you running?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts