Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes you read right :) I know there was talk in the Forums about this before so heres the goss to clear it all up (maybe).

I have found out that a person has bought one of these 351w Lightning engines for a XP ute from Suburban Imports and the thing that stopped me from doing this conversion is the RTA and EPA laws, didn't want to run LPG. I hate the stuff. From what I am now lead to believe this conversion should be okay. American states have heavier emmissions laws than Australia, especially California and so long as your running Unleaded and cats should be fine, just get a blue slip no need for a engineers certificate.

And was told the MAP sesnor that they run would be better than MAF. And just use a aftermarket computer. Modified engine mounts and sump and your away. Working with mechanics everyday ain't hard to find help either. Sounds good to me! These things put out 220kw in stock truck F150 form.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now Sammy, let's not get carried away here! ... hang on, what am I saying... GO FOR IT!!! GO SON!!

Yep I definitely want to see your beast with a "big" Windsor under the bonnet, and far too many horses. :)

BTW I'll make you an offer on some of your existing nice parts if you're not going to be needing them :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are always lurking in here aint ya Mike.
And your boss wonders why you dont get any work done at home -joke. I want to hear from Kon and Paul on this topic ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GO for it, it's just the cost etc.You may still need performance parts to get it going hard.But you just cannot beat torque.You know of all the things ya have to do.I wanted to build a rep.Cobra enquired at rta they said I needed "same" efi type engine so it would be o/k.[Often get different story every time ya ask]You dont have to tell them too much anyway.No one will know anyway.Go for latter model manifold as in late EL/AU if ya can the Falcon xr8 top will bolt right on.Throttle body and all."Sorry Mike".The computor parts should work too.Though need to mabe recalibrate.I have seen the Cobra kit done on 5.8 the Frazer motor cycle F150 truck for instance.Depends what price 351 compared to 347.Atleast I guess you have two motors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
prob with using cobra upper is clearence.
though if i get a 351 it will be complete svt, which has GT tubular upper.. which is better? I know its lower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some good sportsman 351w's in this list.
http://vsaauto.vwh.net/cars/index.html

Though I can't get any pics of the SVT 351 on the net.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Damn, youve stolen my idea... ;-(

I wonder how many 351W powered Falcons (EA onwards) are out there? Cant be many...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slim,
What sort of gearbox are you gonna run in it. Will XR manuals and autos hold up to the bagloads of grunt these motors put out?
Very cool idea though, should put a few HSV(sorry) lovers to rest:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slim

You want my opinion again? :) Ok, here it is. Do the 351 but keep Ford EEC and use mass air. It's much more accepting of mods that you'll want to do down the track compared to MAP.

GT40/Cobra are ok for truck revving speed on a 351 but if you want to see the motor breathe when on the high side of 5000rpms you need a bigger intake. I would suggest the TFS 351 intake. They're available in Oz, pretty cheap and shouldn't be any higher than the GT40 (I think). Make sure you get good heads too. Anything Ford made of the shelf is really too small for your application (Yates and the like aside of course). Go for something like AFR 185, ported TFS twisted wedges or Canfield/Avenger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Martin Kon and I were talking about this some time ago. The only thing holding me up was the RTA laws really.

Kon says keep the 302s MAF. But a mech at work say the MAP is easier to play with. Hmm~

Answer to the other question on gearboxes. The Tremac TKO would be the only thing I would put in it. The T5 won't handle the punishment and why throw any box in there and spend $$$ unless you do it right with a TKO. CLutch would have to be 11 inch(?)

As far as heads go.. I might just get it in there first. Ummm I dunno should really (I GUESS) set up the cam /heads first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Map is o/k because he is using aftermarket efi.BUT if he used eec4/5 maf IS less hassle.$1500+ could be well saved for something els.
The t5 would hold up but NO hard lounches etc.T5/6 sounds good too.Still not stronger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not using aftermakret EFI. Buying a SVT Lightning 351w complete from Suburban Imports $4,500. which uses GT tubular upper manifold (already facing the Australian direction). Everything on the Lightning will stay, use my ECU(unichiped) and 70mm MAF. What will be for sale is the old 302, and the cobra manifolds, 24# injectors, 65mm TB.

The only way to pass blue slip is to leave the 351 stock(300hp) for now anyways. I was reading Mustang & Fords mag today on stroking a 351 to 427, think I'd get away with that *Grins*.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts