Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1966 390 Fairlane GT convert for sale in my area. I would like to know if I can check in any way if the original motor is in the car. Or how I can even check if it is a 390 in the car. Sorry I'm new to this type of car and not sure where to look for any engine numbers. Thanks! Ron.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The number 1 thing to me when looking at a fairlane is the floor pans and torque boxes...The date code is down by the fuel pump for the block the heads should have C6OE-6090-Y or C6OE-6090-AC as part numbers with 16 bolt exaust manifolds .. the only way to tell a 352 from a 428 really is checking the bore & the stroke on the crank. The serial # on the crank will be 3U -or- 2U-or- 2UA with 3.784 stroke , 2.7488 mains & 2.4384 rod journal diameter ...bore should be 4.05 , Those FE motors are hard to tell apart I bought a (I thought) 428 and when I put it on the engine stand and tore it down only the heads were 428 !! I pulled of the oil pan and the crank was a 2U the pistons were 40 over 390.. So I lost 500 $ on my good deal !! The little pieces like the tail lights & head light bezel ,console , dash chrome and dash pad are high dollar idiems .. Rechromeing the plastic dash at MR G's in fort worth Tx. cost me 400$ -------But these unibody fairlanes are light and with a good FE run like hell ...I've got a 428 with 2 fours, 11 to 1 forged pistons , 520 lift cam , ported & flowed 428CJ heads , headers and 3500 stall running back to 4:11 posi rear >>> With a factory air condition , power disc brakes and power steering..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I bought this 390 GT fairlane convert ( 4 speed). I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I have a newer 2001 SS camaro my wife want's to keep. I can't keep both cars, I just want to make sure the car I bought is right if I sell it this summer. I'm not sure how rare this car is, I have $13,700 in it and that is all I would want back. Well thanks again, I may be back on here asking more about the car. Ron!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts