Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Movin!
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who in Melbourne was listening to Neil Mitchell on 3AW this morning? What a load of uneducated crap

Apparently Neil had read a writeup on the F6 Typhoon coming up from FPV, seeing that it had 550Mn of torque, 270kw, and could do 100km/hr in 2nd gear, then decided to accuse FPV and Ford of releasing a lethal weapon. He began to speak that he had driven a newer model aussie "muscle car" at a track one day and it was in his words "an absolute handful, frying the tyres whenever you tough the throttle"......well thats what happens to amateur drivers when they drive a road car fast around a track! My ute would probably have over 300kw's and 530Nm but I regared my previous Rodeo at half those figures as being the more dangerous...comes down to driving sensibly no matter what the car. Plenty of cars do 100km/hr in 2nd too.

Our FPV honcho David Flint done a good job of saying that FPV are deliberately marketing their cars not based on speed but a whole package, but I got the impression he was not believed, interviewers who arent interested in hearing the full reply make it terribly one sided, he even had the nerve to say David was conning him

He then had an interview with that pedestrian council goon Harold Scruby who said that the Ford fellas were "terrorists in suits" for bringing out such a car that would kill everything that drives it or gets in its path. Some one show him how much a shovel hurts :bash:

A few LS1 fellas helped us out by saying that cars these days are much more refined, not as "muscle car" as you would think, and that a lot of the P Platers these days go out and buy a Skyline or Silvia turbo, spend $5,000 on the thing and get a car that will run 12's. Neil neglected to research that these cars have traction control, speed limiters, better brakes, chassis, and road manners. Some one with half a brain would go into that detail. Neil has been in the celeb grand prix but something tells me he wouldnt know the south end of a north bound cow on todays cars. :moon:

Someone on here has a signature that says

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

How well does that fit....how many high performance cars such as XR's, SS's, HSV's, FPV's are involved in accidents? Tis not the car that is dangerous, it's the driver behind the wheel! Neil has helped us with the speed camera debacle- he was the one who exposed the Nissan 120Y who alledgedly was doing 160km/hr on the western ring rd, and subsequenbtly lead to the turning off of all of the cameras...but for this issue he hasnt done his homework, and could very well lead to the next supercar scare with someone of his control in the media
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
Yup heard about this , my dad is always listening to 3AW, he asked me of Ford have a new car called the Typhoon, I said yes and dad goes Ford are idiots:p After a long argument, he agreed that the car is perfectly safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Rodderz said:
Who in Melbourne was listening to Neil Mitchell on 3AW this morning? What a load of uneducated crap

Apparently Neil had read a writeup on the F6 Typhoon coming up from FPV, seeing that it had 550Mn of torque, 270kw, and could do 100km/hr in 2nd gear, then decided to accuse FPV and Ford of releasing a lethal weapon. He began to speak that he had driven a newer model aussie "muscle car" at a track one day and it was in his words "an absolute handful, frying the tyres whenever you tough the throttle"......well thats what happens to amateur drivers when they drive a road car fast around a track! My ute would probably have over 300kw's and 530Nm but I regared my previous Rodeo at half those figures as being the more dangerous...comes down to driving sensibly no matter what the car. Plenty of cars do 100km/hr in 2nd too.

Our FPV honcho David Flint done a good job of saying that FPV are deliberately marketing their cars not based on speed but a whole package, but I got the impression he was not believed, interviewers who arent interested in hearing the full reply make it terribly one sided, he even had the nerve to say David was conning him

He then had an interview with that pedestrian council goon Harold Scruby who said that the Ford fellas were "terrorists in suits" for bringing out such a car that would kill everything that drives it or gets in its path. Some one show him how much a shovel hurts :bash:

A few LS1 fellas helped us out by saying that cars these days are much more refined, not as "muscle car" as you would think, and that a lot of the P Platers these days go out and buy a Skyline or Silvia turbo, spend $5,000 on the thing and get a car that will run 12's. Neil neglected to research that these cars have traction control, speed limiters, better brakes, chassis, and road manners. Some one with half a brain would go into that detail. Neil has been in the celeb grand prix but something tells me he wouldnt know the south end of a north bound cow on todays cars. :moon:

Someone on here has a signature that says

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

How well does that fit....how many high performance cars such as XR's, SS's, HSV's, FPV's are involved in accidents? Tis not the car that is dangerous, it's the driver behind the wheel! Neil has helped us with the speed camera debacle- he was the one who exposed the Nissan 120Y who alledgedly was doing 160km/hr on the western ring rd, and subsequenbtly lead to the turning off of all of the cameras...but for this issue he hasnt done his homework, and could very well lead to the next supercar scare with someone of his control in the media

Could'nt agree more, :hy: I am sick and tired of the minority groups having more voice than anyone else in the community. The issue of performance cars is driver based not car based. This all stems back to a seperate issue, the licensing, testing and training of drivers which in itself is probably a 50 page thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
I heard all of it as well and couldn't get on to place some polite counter-arguements back at Mitchell and some of his totally subjective guests. As mentioned above no-one mentioned that today's cars pass tougher crash testing, have the highest level of passive and active safety features then all past Australian built cars and are only dangerous when the driver drives them dangerously.

I find it very annoying that this only popped up after Ford release an all new type of car and yet based on the latest Motor reports the Typhoon is not faster then most Z series HSV's. I also was annoyed that HSV were not interviewed while in the past Mitchell has openly stated that he has been a guest driver of HSV products in the past. The other side of the coin is Ford couldn't have paid for that much advertising if it wanted to. Sure it was slated in a negative manner but potential buyers are far more astute, its the politicians that we have to worry about and thanks to 3aw most of the morning program listeners now know a Typhoon is spinning into town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
...and yet, when motoring experts get behind the wheel of these new generation 'Super cars' they report about how forgiving they are when/if you throw them around. They've got a nice amount of poke, but dynamics and handling to balance that poke.
 

·
Harry Be Kewell
Joined
·
73 Posts
Neil Mitchell is a cock. once he's got his mind set on something. thats it. won't listen to the other party involved. cant stand him.
 

·
Your Village wants you...
Joined
·
35 Posts
Why isn't this guy championing better roads? Better driver education? Making defensive driving courses manatory for license requirements? Ongoing driver assessment over their entire lives, not just when they get their license at 17 or at 65, struggling to hang on to their independance? Why attacking manufacturers or buiding the vehicles that are only affordable to a minority of people?

Why not attack the hundreds of defective vehicles in the hands of inexperienced drivers pushing them beyond the capabilites of the vehicle and themselves? Why not ask the hard questions, instead of delivering ill informed tripe. How about using your influence and position for REAL change for the good of all, and just not your own Mr. Mitchell? :madman:
 

·
O.F.R - BIG DADDY C.E.O
Joined
·
571 Posts
Nice work Rodderz, I might have to start listening to 3AW, sounds like its good for a laugh. Another point to take into consideration is the average age of people who will be buying these cars, not too many younger drivers will be able to afford a mid $60,000 car. In most peoples eyes the people who can afford these will be very mature and responsible drivers. This may not be the case but it is most certainly the publics opinion.
 

·
Movin!
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phantom said:
Nice work Rodderz, I might have to start listening to 3AW,
At least you got a choice, your truck has FM! I choose between the oldy music and talk stations and some tassie station on the AM dial!
:dj:

If I werent driving the bloody thing I probably wouldve rung up lol
 

·
In Pursuit of excellence
Joined
·
855 Posts
Seems odd that the Z series HSV's will probably be faster, but the Typhoon is copping all the negative press, oh well as someone else said, FPV has got some great publicity for its new beast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
How funny would it be if this clown got run over by a Exel or a econovan. Would really shut him up wouldn't it. Wonder what car he drives.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
SinisterHorze said:
Why isn't this guy championing better roads? Better driver education? Making defensive driving courses manatory for license requirements? Ongoing driver assessment over their entire lives, not just when they get their license at 17 or at 65, struggling to hang on to their independance? Why attacking manufacturers or buiding the vehicles that are only affordable to a minority of people?

Why not attack the hundreds of defective vehicles in the hands of inexperienced drivers pushing them beyond the capabilites of the vehicle and themselves? Why not ask the hard questions, instead of delivering ill informed tripe. How about using your influence and position for REAL change for the good of all, and just not your own Mr. Mitchell? :madman:
Far be it for me to defend 3aw's Mitchell just having criticized him above, however I do have to give him some credit as he used to be very close to the late Jim Murcott (Murcott's is one of the better defensive driving schools) and has been on the back of all state governments about compulsary driving courses for learner drivers for well over 10 years. He even managed to get the police and relevant government minister of the time to try such a course and several governments later they are still "looking at it". The irony is some state government departments force their employees to undertake such a course and have seen tangible savings in reduced accident claims and personal injuries...now I'll switch back to anger at his tabloid type story today on the Typhoon....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
With a 14.o4 sec 1/4 mile what are they worried about. That means they should ban all the BA xr8's xr6T's and all hsv's and ss's.
 

·
Magnificence in Motion
Joined
·
318 Posts
Kewell_711 said:
Neil Mitchell is a cock. once he's got his mind set on something. thats it. won't listen to the other party involved. cant stand him.
This mouth survives by ratings, while he's beating up an issue (any issue he could'nt care less) and everyone is listening he's winning!!!

Turn the moron off!

He will get sacked when he does'nt rate quicker than a Typhoon to the 400 metre line!

You know they won't let you have your say. You know they lie and distort the facts and figures. You know they are talking out their arse!

But guess what? They know it too, they know you get hotter than a GT and they know you are listening and thats the whole system in one easy lesson.
 

·
Can't wait for Winton...
Joined
·
2,759 Posts
XRQTOR said:
How funny would it be if this clown got run over by a Exel or a econovan. Would really shut him up wouldn't it. Wonder what car he drives.
He has hit a pedestian in his Merc - now there's irony coming to bite you on the arse!

PS does anyone have any more info or a link on Mr Scruby's little indiscretion?
 

·
Movin!
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
XcelR8 said:
This mouth survives by ratings, while he's beating up an issue (any issue he could'nt care less) and everyone is listening he's winning!!!

Turn the moron off!

He will get sacked when he does'nt rate quicker than a Typhoon to the 400 metre line!

You know they won't let you have your say. You know they lie and distort the facts and figures. You know they are talking out their arse!

But guess what? They know it too, they know you get hotter than a GT and they know you are listening and thats the whole system in one easy lesson.
True.....

But Ford cops the rough end of the stick, negative publicity on one of the nations most listened radio shows that isnt all factual. This affects all the others too, the Holden people, all motor enthusiasts in general could end up with power limits of all new cars that are much safer than he gives credit for.

One other amusing thing he said was that even though the new Mazda RX-8 does 100km/hr in 2nd too, he would feel safer in it. Not bagging the mazda which is a great car but i'de rather be in a bigger more stable car than a smaller rx-8!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Rodderz said:
True.....

But Ford cops the rough end of the stick, negative publicity on one of the nations most listened radio shows that isnt all factual. This affects all the others too, the Holden people, all motor enthusiasts in general could end up with power limits of all new cars that are much safer than he gives credit for.

One other amusing thing he said was that even though the new Mazda RX-8 does 100km/hr in 2nd too, he would feel safer in it. Not bagging the mazda which is a great car but i'de rather be in a bigger more stable car than a smaller rx-8!
Yea i'd to rather a big lump of iron and 6 feet of bonnet than a tin can and 3 feet of bonnet to protect me from a crash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,083 Posts
Funny that. Looking at my time slips from Heathcote last time round;

16.65 @ 83 mph odd. It shifts into 3rd just before the quarter is up.

Holy crap I can do 120 kph in 2nd!!!! 108 RWKW of pure baby killing power!

People blindly listen to the media without question. Idiots.
 

·
Your Village wants you...
Joined
·
35 Posts
Curls said:
Far be it for me to defend 3aw's Mitchell just having criticized him above, however I do have to give him some credit as he used to be very close to the late Jim Murcott (Murcott's is one of the better defensive driving schools) and has been on the back of all state governments about compulsary driving courses for learner drivers for well over 10 years. He even managed to get the police and relevant government minister of the time to try such a course and several governments later they are still "looking at it". The irony is some state government departments force their employees to undertake such a course and have seen tangible savings in reduced accident claims and personal injuries...now I'll switch back to anger at his tabloid type story today on the Typhoon....
I personally have never listened to the moron so I wasn't aware whether he had or had not pushed for better driver training.

Having said that, why do we have governments failing to tackle this problem?
Has Mr.Mitchell tried to encourage a ground swell of support over that time to force governments to act on this. The answer is proof in the pudding. The death rates keep climbing, so the government just sticks out more 'flash for cash' units. If there is such tangible savings in these courses, why the F$#% aren't they made part of the licsencing protocols? Car manufacturers are forced to ensure better safer cars each year, why do we as a society not ask ourselves to improve the standard of drivers?

Attacking a car is the easy option. Cars can't fight back. Can't wait for the a$$hole to say something about the new Zseries HSV's. What has the moron said about off street drag racing, testand tune nights, and safe areas for young people to test the limits of themselves and the cars they own?

Attack the problem, educate drivers and the driving public. Then we will see real results in death tolls, and a lot more safer driving habits. :madman:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top