Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas, currently in my car have a 180w Clarioni HU, clarion 4' in the front (new), Clarion 6' in the rear (new) a boss 400w amp and a new 12' sony sub.

I seem to have a habit of destroying my speakers, as wait for, dont laugh, I have only just realised that the wattage of my speakers isn't greater than my HU..so der....POP!

Before the 4' clarions (they are atelast 120, if not 140) I had some 4' Shnieder (SP??). Dont know if you know them, they were awesome but also went pop.

Now my HU goes up to 30 right, and I might have turned it up to 27, because autobarn and straithfeild both said that I wont need an amp for my speakers. Well aren't they wrong!

I was just wondering what type of 4's will cope with my HU when its turned up? Im getting a bit sick of buy new ones, the the next pair will have to be good. But I dont want to spend really big bucks on them.

Thanks.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I know Kenwood do a 160 or 180watt 4" split from Autobarn for around the $220 mark. You could try Jaycar speakers or Focal. These brands are excellent quality brands and you will pay top dollar for them, but should handle you amount of volume.

I also recommend doing a web search on the above brands for full rundown of individual specs!

·
I want my brothers car.
258 Posts
Whatever it is...steer clear of Clarion. My headunit has already been repaired (new display cable) and my front 6" splits have already been re-soldered.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
HU is 180w total ?, so that is 45watts a channel, now you say 120 or 140 watt speakers, so they are at least 60 watss rms, so that means they should not go 'pop' or i have got it wrong here :0)

Jason

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
They wont pop as long as they dont distort. It shouldnt matter how much power your HU or speakers have, if it distorts/clips for too long it will die. Upgrading your speakers might help a little but if you want to louder get an amp instead of turning your deck all the way up. I havent heard a head unit that wont distort close to its full volume.

Hope that helps
dan

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hamo said:
Whatever it is...steer clear of Clarion. My headunit has already been repaired (new display cable) and my front 6" splits have already been re-soldered.
well I have to disagree..my HU is relatievly old, and its fine, the 6' in the back are crystal clear and the 4', when not pushed above 22 on my HU are really good..so far

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dellboy999 said:
HU is 180w total ?, so that is 45watts a channel, now you say 120 or 140 watt speakers, so they are at least 60 watss rms, so that means they should not go 'pop' or i have got it wrong here :0)

Jason
ok I know you have probably mae that really simple..but I still dont get it.

All I know is that once I go past 18 now my right hand front is popping. And its giving me the shits, LHS is fine though.

So what do you guys run?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
180watts / 2 = 90 for the front to share and 90 for the rear to share ..... SO
90 / 2 = 45 watts left front and 45 watts right front
90 / 2 = 45 watts left rear and 45 watts right rear

But if one speaker is not connected it tends to pump a little more power through the only speaker connected.

Check your balance, and fade are they are centred (i.e. zero, if digital)

I guess CD player, original CD's or burnt ones, does it make a difference.

Jason

·
Registered
434 Posts
dude, buy a amp, if you keep trying to push out to much till it distorts it will kill the speakers. There is no point spending $$$ on the best speakers in the world if they are not going to be powerd right.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I have kenwood CD HU that controls 10 stacker in the boot, with 45watts per channel, I have kenwood splits in front i think 200 watts ??? not sure, the rear are 240watt ??? not sure pioneer 4 way, the sub is 12inch jbl 120 watt driven by 100 watt bridged kenwood amp

from memory all that, had the gear for about 10 years give or take a few.

Jason

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1LOWEA said:
dude, buy a amp, if you keep trying to push out to much till it distorts it will kill the speakers. There is no point spending $$$ on the best speakers in the world if they are not going to be powerd right.
But thats the thing...it didn't distort...it just popped, and I cant even remember it happening. And what makes it even stranger is that it only happens with some songs..if anyone comes down to the all ford day ill show ya what i mean.

And if I have to buy another amp ill be pissed, because everyone told me I wouldn't need one so I only brought a 2ch..ahh!

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
ur oging too high, with mums system, the 6x9's no amp at 40 = 50 is max, they distort.... with the amp, at 20 its louder than 40 and they dont distort your hu like any other has trouble coping with high volumes... get an amp for your speakers....

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would suggest trying a set on jaycar Response speakers, they are a 4" 2 way with a 1" tweeter in them. these have a crossover supplied with them to cut the bass and midrange from the tweeter at approx. 9Khz and they have a crossover on the 4" cutting the low bass at approx. 150Hz, this at a guess is what would be killing your 4",the low bass, your HU should power the speakers no probs. also if you run speakers of the HU its advisable not to take the HU past 3/4 volume as with any deck the amps start to distort the signal, not always audible but as a speaker signal and this along with no crossover on your speakers will probably be causing your speakers to POP... out of curiosity how does the rest of the system perform???

·
Registered
434 Posts
re-wire the whole car with fresh wire.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
First of all the "wattage rating" is BS when youre talking fullrange speakers, you can drive a 10W speaker with a 100w amp on normal program music all day long at high volume levels long as the signal doesnt clip(distort).
Secondly a 10w amp clipped will kill a 1000w speaker in seconds!
To get louder without a amp you need too look for more sensitive(higher db per watt)speakers, a 4" will not get loud as say a 6" speaker in mid/midbass with the same watts given the same conditions(hint hint, swap the fronts with the backs).
Or buy some bigger fronts, and amp them up.
H/U amps suck dont beleive their ratings, chop that 180w factory watt rating in quarters for real unclipped watts.(IMO)

FoMoCo4eva said:
And if I have to buy another amp ill be pissed, because everyone told me I wouldn't need one so I only brought a 2ch..ahh!
Buy another amp!, one for that sub you brought and one for the fronts. Get the same amp again, makes for an easier install. Or sell the amp u got and upgrade too a 3/4/5 channel amp!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts