Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i need some help.i have a 1964 galaxie xl with a stock 390 running on leaded gas.someone tried to replace the stock exhaust manifolds before i bought the car.some bolts have been broken off in the heads and i need to fix this. i have an opportunity to get a set of 428 cobra jet heads and dual 4bl manifold.the heads have had a 5 angled valve job on them and are in immaculate shape.both the heads and the intake have been machined to match each other.i do not know much about this yet-can i just swap them?does this effect the leaded gas ?is it worth it for a stock motor?i can not afford to change anything in the bottom end yet so will the stock crank and pistons work-motor seems strong.also how can you tell if the heads are really 428 cobra jet?thanks in advance for anyones help.
joeyt11

·
Registered
321 Posts
The heads and intake will swap fine. CJ heads have low riser size ports. To be sure they are indeed true CJ heads look for these casting numbers. C8OE-6090-N, C8OE-6090-H and C8WE-6090-A. That last number is rare to find and referred to as Canadian CJ heads. I think these were found on some Cougar GTE's with the 427. CJ head chambers are in the 72-74 cc range. If your 64 has C4-G heads you'll be pretty close compression wise. If the heads your looking at are C8AE-6090-H these are not really CJ heads but a more common head found on lots engines. A few very early CJ's did use the C8-H heads tho... Exhaust manifolds should be upgraded to either the old Ford cast headers or something aftermarket. Stock exhaust mani's are a pretty good bottle neck. Crites and FPA sell a nice header. The Ford cast headers are expensive $500+ but are on ebay all the time. Be sure the bolt pattern on those heads match yours so everything bolts up. The casting number on the heads is between the center two spark plugs. If you can get the number off your heads and confirm the number on the heads you looking at. Also if the intake has a number get that too. This way we can compare and see what's what.

G.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On the leaded gas thing see if the heads had hardened seats installed. Some guys will have this done to use unleaded. Some leave them alone and use a lead additive. Some use nothing and run them as is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts