Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy I bought engine from wasn't sure if it was 429 or 460 but was sure it was out of a 73 Lincoln , I need to set the timing. Thanks

·
Administrator
12,228 Posts
The 73 Lincoln came only with the 460. Shows to be 14 degrees BTDC but that seems a little much to me. I'd set it at 10 as a starting point.

·
Super Moderator
7,927 Posts
I've seen 460's specs at 4, but you're mileage will suck. That was also on leaded gas. I've heard of people going out as far as 20, but you'll have to do some adjustments to the carb. If you don't feel like fiddling with it, like jwko said, start at 10. If it bogs, advance, if it pings, retard.

·
Administrator
12,228 Posts
Your vacuum advance may need to go to ported vacuum. In other words, a metered connection on the carb which produces zero vacuum at idle until the throttle opens.

·
Super Moderator
7,927 Posts
jwko has the right answer, but you raise another question, is this aftermarket or OEM? It's very likely that there's a pot on the distributor to adjust the vacuum advance. Even if you are on a ported vacuum, you may need to adjust your total advance during WOT. Did the distributor come with extra springs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Distribiter was after market , no extra springs . I am new at this, what is WOT ? All of this is in efforts to cure running hot problem. Engine has been rebuilt , new water pump, new radiater with electric fan and shroud, also added two pusher fans. Did adjust timing from 8 BTDC to 14. It helped problem but still runs 220-230 just cruising but if I push it any at all goes to 240 plus. Was told it could be tming issue, carb running to rich or lean, or engine was rebuilt with too close tolerances and just needs broken in. It starts hard, turns over easy nut pops and back fires trying to start when up to temp . Thanks for any help. JR.

·
Super Moderator
865 Posts
Distribiter was after market , no extra springs . I am new at this, what is WOT ? All of this is in efforts to cure running hot problem. Engine has been rebuilt , new water pump, new radiater with electric fan and shroud, also added two pusher fans. Did adjust timing from 8 BTDC to 14. It helped problem but still runs 220-230 just cruising but if I push it any at all goes to 240 plus. Was told it could be tming issue, carb running to rich or lean, or engine was rebuilt with too close tolerances and just needs broken in. It starts hard, turns over easy nut pops and back fires trying to start when up to temp . Thanks for any help. JR.
WOT=wide open throttle

Do you have a fan shroud? Have you tried a compression or vacuum test? Did you try to adjust the carb? Disregard if you already answered any of my questions, I skimmed through the thread lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,927 Posts
Part of that sounds like your choke might not be right. Does it have a rough hot start with the vacuum advance disconnected? At full throttle, you shouldn't be more than 34-36 degrees, 38 max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. I haven't tried a hot start with vacuum advance un hooked, but will definately will try it and check out the choke. Thanks. Jr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts