Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nick Holland
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 86 F250 with a carburetor and I need to put a new engine in it. A friend has a 92 F250 fuel injected that I'd like to pull the motor out of. My question is, what will it take to put the newer engine in the older truck?

·
Super Moderator
7,948 Posts
Automatic or stick? Naturally, you have to have all the engine controls and PCM. If you're not going to a 460, the motor mounts. You're hoses for power steering, AC, and heat shouldn't change, so which ever looks best. You're call as to whether you use the old style starter with a separate starting solenoid or one with an integral. My 73 has a 92 5.0, the solenoid on the fender is used and the one on the starter is bypassed. If the EFI has an automatic, I'd suggest you get that as well for simplicity. Which also means you probably will need the drive shaft. You may have issues with the drive shaft given the change of generations, let me know which transmissions are in each truck, it'll be easier to help with your situation rather than explaining all the different options. The transmission can be the biggest pain in the swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts