Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello, the block casting numbers are located on the rear of the engine, i think the starter motor side. with the head numbers on side of heads near 2nd or 3rd exhaust ports... hope this helps..

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
John,

Do you have an idea what year your engine is supposed to be?

The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. The are visible simply by raising the hood and looking at the engine. You should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, possibly one of the following:
  • C8VE-E
  • C9VE-A
  • D0VE-C
  • D2VE-AA
  • D3VE-A2A
Or, it may appear similar to one of the above numbers but a little different.

The block casting number is located on the ouside of the engine, at the rear of the cylinder bank, behind the starter motor and reads vertically. There, you should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, possibly one of the following:
  • C8VE-B
  • C9VE-B
  • D0VE-A
  • D1VE-A2B
  • D9TE-AB
Or, it may appear similar to one of the above numbers but a little different.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmmm...interesting. I found my block casting # located as you said it would be Paul, above the starter listed vertically. what is strange is that for the life of me...I could not locate the casting # on my heads. I have Tom Monroe book that shows me exactly where to look ie: (visuals) on the ledge between the 3rd and 4th cylinder exhaust. Certainly they are identified???

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
Tired Ole Ford said:
...I could not locate the casting # on my heads. I have Tom Monroe book that shows me exactly where to look ie: (visuals) on the ledge between the 3rd and 4th cylinder exhaust. Certainly they are identified???
Yes, your heads are more than likely identified, TOF. Very, very few heads went through without casting numbers, and I suspect that those without them are toward the beginning of production for that particular casting revision.

In your particular case, though, you have identified your block as being a D9TE-AB, which tells me that you have a 1979-up production 460 from a van or truck. And based on what you have told so far, I'll bet that your engine is actually mid 1980's, right? The numbering "pads" are cast onto your heads indeed, but the actual casting revision is non-existant (the pad is blank), right? What you have, TOF, is a back-end of production set of D3VE-A2A's. The engineering revision of your heads will not be located where Monroe's book tells you to look. In your particular case, the number is on the underside of the head, below the intake ports where they extend over the cylinder block lifter valley. Intake manifold must be removed in order to confirm the number.

Rare exception.

Paul

p.s. Don't believe everything in Tom Monroe's book as there are lots of casting number errors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
True story Paul. Mine is a 1987 F350 4 X 4. I'll take your word on it about the heads because I'm not about to get into pulling all of that stuff back apart LOL! I appreciate the input, and I will keep that in mind about the Tom Monroe book. I also have the Chilton book as well. I will have to look into that one as well as a comparison. Take care.

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
Tired Ole Ford said:
True story Paul. Mine is a 1987 F350 4X4. I'll take your word on it about the heads because I'm not about to get into pulling all of that stuff back apart LOL!
TOF, ooooh boy. Suddenly we are in an even more gray area....it gets a little confusing around the transitional period from carb to EFI. Now I really am curious what you have for heads.

D3VE's were utilized from 1973 through about 1985, and then for 1986 came the E6TE cylinder head casting for the 1986 models, which is the last of the true carbureted cylinder head casting revisions. I believe them to be a single year (1986 model) casting. The E6TE is essentially still just a D3VE-type head, but with a different accessory bolt thread in the end of the head. Then, for 1987 we started to see the E7TE casting EFI or "fuelie" castings.

If your 1987 F350 is a fuel injected engine, then I would think that you should have the E7TE fuelie heads...but I'd expect you to find an "E7TE" at the typical casting number location. Based on the year of your truck, I'd think it's a fuelie 460... but being a 1-ton I'd consider the possibility that they used carbed heads.

As though this all isn't confusing enough, the 1987 Fuelie motors did have a carbureted intake available for the motorhomes. In other words, they used E7TE FI heads with an FI-type intake BUT with a carburetor pad on the top of that intake manifold.

Like I said, it gets a little confusing around the transitional period from carb to EFI. We need to start whittling away at the possibilities of what you have under your hood.
  • If your valve cover bolts are around the perimiter of your valve covers, then you have carbureted heads.
  • If your valve cover bolts are through the top/middle of your valve covers, then you have FI heads.
Whatcha got?

Paul

P.s.: Are you sure your F350 is not a 1986 model that was first registered in 1987? If so, then you may have the 1 year only E6TE cylinder head castings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok here goes Paul. I have additional information for you. My valve covers bolt around the perimeter of the head, and not through the top/middle. The tag on the side of the front drivers door states that the vehicle was manufactured 06/87. I then went and pulled the VIN # from the tag off the instrument panel as seen through the window: (1FHDF38L8HKB01168). I then matched that VIN # to corresponding the VIN that is stamped on the door where I grabbed the manufactured date. The strange thing was that the 4th digit from the left (D) looked like it had been typed over twice. It could have either been a D or an H. I hope this helps Paul, and sorry to be such a pain over this one, but when I began to see all of the threads relating to which head/block casting # questions that were being tossed around...it really peaked my interest in my own engine. Again, I appreciate it. Take care. TOF

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok here goes Paul. I have additional information for you. My valve covers bolt around the perimeter of the head, and not through the top/middle. The tag on the side of the front drivers door states that the vehicle was manufactured 06/87. I then went and pulled the VIN # from the tag off the instrument panel as seen through the window: (1FHDF38L8HKB01168). I then matched that VIN # to corresponding the VIN that is stamped on the door where I grabbed the manufactured date. The strange thing was that the 4th digit from the left (D) looked like it had been typed over twice. It could have either been a D or an H. I hope this helps Paul, and sorry to be such a pain over this one, but when I began to see all of the threads relating to which head/block casting # questions that were being tossed around...it really peaked my interest in my own engine. Again, I appreciate it. Take care. TOF

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmm...not sure how I posted twice. Anyways, I might have additional info that may be of help Paul. Once again, I inspected the heads, and found below just slightly in front and directly below the #1 sparkplug, an upside down number (35). Also, I went over in my barn and took a look at the old intake that I pulled off of this engine before replacing it with a performer # 3766. I was looking for any significant #'s. What I found just above where it lists your firing order sequence was the numbers: D9TE-DA. I'm not sure if that is a reference back to what I pulled off of the block which was different. Irregardless...I continued to search, and near what would be close to the #8 cylinder on the intake, I found the Ford logo with the numbers 7E26 listed just below the logo. Upon inspection of the intake just to give you an idea of what this particular one looks like...there is a raised baffled channel isolating the left 2 barrels from the other 2 on the right. I'm afraid that is all of the help I can give you my friend. I'm not sure where else I can look to give you a better idea as to what it is that I have for heads. The D9TE-DA numbering on top of the intake did leave me a bit curious though. If that is a reference to the block casting, then it would be wrong...because I did see with my own eyes D9TE-AB on the block. Take care. TOF

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
On the door tag, it will likely show a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 8600 lbs or something thereabouts. Being a 1-ton truck, this may explain why you have a carbed engine commercial vehicle = emissions leniency). Or, perhaps this trucks FI engine has been swapped out for an carbureted engine. Incidentally, TOF, I should say that FoMoCo VIN decoding, etc. is not my area of expertise by any means; simply stated, I am curious as you are.

Being that your engine and intake manifold both have D9TE engineering revisions, it's safe to say that your intake's casting date code (7E26) specifies that your oem iron intake was cast on May 26, 1987. I find this interesting as it leaves open the possibility that the carbed version of the engine remained available after 1986.

Based on the description of your valve cover bolt locations, you have carbed heads indeed. If you really wish to venture farther, remove a valve cover and look for the casting date code in the cylinder head's valve train area. It will be alphanumeric just like the "7E26" on your intake manifold.

As it stands now, I feel certain that you have either D3VE heads or E6TE heads...likely the latter, based on your date codes.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi just read through the thread as i have a same situation. the heads are not stamped externally but i took off the covers and found the date stamps 8k28 on the left head with an upside 35 on the outside and on the right head it was stamped 54 on the outside with a dat code of 8k29 all on a d9te-ab block in my boat. which heads do you believe these to be.

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
Hi just read through the thread as i have a same situation. the heads are not stamped externally but i took off the covers and found the date stamps 8k28 on the left head with an upside 35 on the outside and on the right head it was stamped 54 on the outside with a dat code of 8k29 all on a d9te-ab block in my boat. which heads do you believe these to be.
October 28, 1978 & Ocotber 29, 1978. D3VE-A2A heads.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Paul, hello, I am new to this forum but would like to say I am so glad I found it. Your posts from way far back have been quite helpful, one in particular dated 11-01-05. OK enough kissing up, I have just purchased a 1950 F1 that has a 429, the head castings is D3VE-A2A and the block is D1VE-A2B. If I am reading correctly this is a good combo with which to build from, Yes?

I am looking at trying to get 7-800 hp. Any thoughts?
Again Thanks for all of your help.

Scott
PS I hope I'm not doing this all wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts