Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to convert an 89' 460 FI motor(D9TE-AB) with (E7TE-BD) heads from a F-350 Lariat XLT into a carbureted motor? Every intake manifold I've come across says it will not fit 88 or later blocks or heads. The motor is going into a jet boat, hopefully!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im not to sure, but i have heard of a adaptor plate that lets you bolt up a four barrel carb to the EFI intake.... hope this helps.

·
429/460 Fanatic
548 Posts
broccoboy said:
Is it possible to convert an 89' 460 FI motor(D9TE-AB) with (E7TE-BD) heads from a F-350 Lariat XLT into a carbureted motor? Every intake manifold I've come across says it will not fit 88 or later blocks or heads. The motor is going into a jet boat, hopefully!!!!
Broccoboy,

A carbureted intake such as an Edelbrock, etc. will not work on a 460FI motor with the FI heads. When making a 460FI motor carbureted, the fuel injection heads and intake manifold must be swapped as a set, ie carbed intake stays with carbed heads, etc.

We have created a carb adaptor plate and installed it onto a 460 FI motor along with a Holley carb on top of it. We have been driving on this for some time without any trouble whatsoever. Unfortunately, we have bigger projects in front of us that demand our attention and so we will not be offering it anytime very soon. Fortunately, there is another business that does offer it, and that is Price Motorsport.

Go to www.pricemeotorsport.com and click on "New Products" and then scroll down.

Paul

p.s. As a jet boat owner myself, I wish to say that the 1989 460FI motor is not the best choice, and that eventually you will be thinking about getting new heads and intake.

The reason for this is because the 1989 460FI motor was one of the years that was equipped with the E7TE cylinder heads which have the smallest intake valve of all the 460's. Add to this the sustained high rpm use of that engine in a jet boat application, and then the heads and the EFI intake work together to strangle top end power. So does the ~7.9:1 compression ratio.

Again, you can get the engine in the boat and run it with that carb adaptor but eventually you will want new heads and intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aside from the head adapter when converting the 460 FI to a carburetor what should be used in place of the old ECM, considering you'd be changing the entire electrical make-up/diagram of the engine - what part/instrument module should be put in the old ECM's place or how do you wire in the gauges, lights, windshield wipers, heater/blower motor etc. to work in the newly refined carburetor motor?

ANY additional information is greatly appreciate - I'm a veteran of the USMC 2006-2011 served in opertation iraqi freedom 2008-2009 and again during operation enduring freedom in afghanistan 2010. Realizing after discharge that here in the northeast US, the residential tree removal market was booming and still continues to be; and I come from very broke humble beginnings - I've had to start this company from the ground up using older equipment in order to stay in business. My future goals and hopes are to hire homeless/jobless veterans to better serve the veteran community. So again i'll say ANY additional info/advice is sincerely appreciated. Thank you - Dana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts