Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Tempo a month back for very cheap. It turns out to be the rare and crappy 4WD model. The 4WD does not work since the middle driveshaft is missing but that is not the issue. This car needs new CV axles. One of them broke and I ordered some from my local part store. I get everything torn apart and the new CV axles are about 2mm too thick in diameter where they slide into the transmission. They WILL NOT fit. So, I go back and call every parts store in town and find out that it's all the same part number for my 1991 Ford Tempo with the automatic transmission. Not once did they ask if the vehicle was 4WD. So, I ordered some on RockAuto but everywhere I am seeing online just lumps the 4WD in with all the other trims when it comes to CV axles. Has anyone else had this issue? Do I have an oddball transmission? Or does anyone have the part number for some CV axles that fit the 4WD models? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
Could be that someone replaced the transmission from another year. Not likely to jump model, but also a possibility. Try getting a stamping from the transmission, see if it matches the year of your car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts