Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2007 F150 several months ago. Several times when I start it cold it makes a rattle noise for less than a second. It does not do this ever time, it has only occurred 3 times in last 2 months and it is driven every day. It holds good oil pressure and runs very smooth and quite. This noise sounds like an open exhaust for just an instant and its gone. Truck has 108,000 miles. Bought at my local Ford dealer. It is a one owner sold new by them, but no history. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,185 Posts
The VVT (variable cam timing) is probably responsible for much of the noise, especially when cold. Check the VVT solenoid. The system is particularly sensitive to dirty oil. Which engine do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 5.4. The oil has been changed ever 3000 miles since new according to previous owner. It seems that the few times it has made this noise, it was much colder than normal the night before. The weather here has been pretty warm over the last month and it hasn't made the noise at all. I am in process now of flushing radiator and fresh coolant.

·
Super Moderator
19,656 Posts
You often find on all makes of cars when the weather is colder , the oil may thicken slightly . This can cause a very slight delay in fully circulating throughout the engine and activating various components , hence possibly what you are experiencing . On some very expensive marques this is common and quite pronounced for the fraction of time it is heard until oil reaches .

·
Super Moderator
1,185 Posts
5.4's are pretty "bullet proof". Though annoying, I wouldn't worry too much about this unless it gets louder. As you already know, give it 30 sec to warm up, then drive it easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can improve the lubrication on startup you can almost certainly eliminate the noise.

On startup the oil will not be coating the parts for a few seconds until it starts circulating.

Typically noises that didn't previously exist are not a good sign... and indicate that a problem might be developing.

What you need is something that is on the metal when the engine starts... and provides improved lubrication compared to the standard oil.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a 2007 F150 several months ago. Several times when I start it cold it makes a rattle noise for less than a second. It does not do this ever time, it has only occurred 3 times in last 2 months and it is driven every day. It holds good oil pressure and runs very smooth and quite. This noise sounds like an open exhaust for just an instant and its gone. Truck has 108,000 miles. Bought at my local Ford dealer. It is a one owner sold new by them, but no history. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like hydraulic timing chain tentioner is bleeding down. Will rattle until oil pressure pushed it back out to tighten the slack in the chain. I would not be too worried about it as long as it goes away within a few seconds after starting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. the two times it made this made this noise it didn't last even a second. Would some type of oil additive help. The oil has been changed by the local Ford store every time since new.

·
Administrator
12,236 Posts
I think its normal. When you start a cold engine in cold weather, it takes a second or two for the oil pressure to come up. During those few seconds you'll hear a rattle or clicking sound. I wouldn't use an additive as most will only thicken the oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts