Ford Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Expedition 4x4 with a bad 5.4.
What other models/years can I get this motor from?
The wreckers seem to have quite a few F150's but cannot/will not tell me interchange information.:noNO:
Sure could use some help here from the panel of experts...:help:

·
canuck
2,514 Posts
It's slim pickin's thats for sure.

Curious though, if you'd be able to mount in a 4.6L if 5.4Ls are scarce in decent condition. Obviously that'll be a power loss downsizing the engine, but if it's an option, and a cheaper option that'll bolt up to the transmission without requiring a different bell housing, I know I'd consider it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If i were you, I would look for a totaled Navigator from the same years and pull the intech motor out of one of them. They have the 32 valve 300hp DOHC 5.4L motor. Not only should it bolt up, but it has a forged bottom end that can support upwards of 1000 hp if you decide to build up the vehicle.:hy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, i'm goin' thru this right now!
Info on the engine is incorrect, you can use any 5.4 from a truck or expedition from 1999 to 2003 (P.I) engines so long as you stay with a 2V engine, or 1997,1998 (non-P.I.) , but they are less power.
Can't quote exactly when, but the Navigator's got the 3V engine sooner than the Expedition, possibly in 01' i think.?
But as far as the Expedition goes, the 2v engine ran from 1997-2003.
Hope this helps, and i used car-part.com to get my new engine as well, it's a great site if know what u need!:hy:

·
280 Posts
If i were you, I would look for a totaled Navigator from the same years and pull the intech motor out of one of them. They have the 32 valve 300hp DOHC 5.4L motor. Not only should it bolt up, but it has a forged bottom end that can support upwards of 1000 hp if you decide to build up the vehicle.:hy:
You mean like this? :priest:

Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
You shouldnt be limited to the older engines. At 185,000 miles my 00 with a 5.4 shot out a spark plug out we decided to swap out the engine. Put in an 09 with about 30,000 miles for a total of a little over 3 grand installed. it runs great and has more power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wreckers seem to have quite a few F150's but cannot/will not tell me interchange information.:noNO:
Is can you swap A54 out of a Lincoln Navigator into a 2001 F250 super duty with A54

·
Registered
1 Posts
You shouldnt be limited to the older engines. At 185,000 miles my 00 with a 5.4 shot out a spark plug out we decided to swap out the engine. Put in an 09 with about 30,000 miles for a total of a little over 3 grand installed. it runs great and has more power.
Cool. Got a 99 with the 5.4 TRITON. Looking at putting one on out of an 08. Did you have to swap the engine wiring harness, PCM or any of the modules or anything???? Did you just pull and replace the engine only????

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
For a straight up drop in, 2004. In 2005, they went to a 3V, yours is a 2V.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you just swap out the motor and plug it in ? You should of went from a 2 val:Val to a 3 valve engine with the year difference jw I got a 99 350 with a 5.4 and it's dogged out

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1999 ford f350 with a 5.4 triton 2valve I was wonder what motors I can swap into it the 5.4 has 273k and is under powered I'd put a 4.6 or even a damn v6 just to keep my truck on the road

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Technically, you can put any engine in, I've seen a Smart Car with a big block. However, for the least amount of modifications and adjustments, it's easiest to to with like generations and blck configurations.If you go with another generation, grab the PCM and TCM along with the transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts