Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a nice looking new 2010 F-150 with a 5.4 Triton engine. I am developing some buyer's remorse because two different Ford mechanics told me that this engine was discontinued in the 2011 F-150's because it is a very poor engine with a bad reputation.

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Review the 5.4 liter Triton V8 Engine

What year is the most reliable 5.4 Triton engine?

In 2009, the 5.4-liter V8 engine improved, fixing the cam phaser problems and almost eliminating spark plug problems. The Triton 5.5L F150 engine is one of the most reliable F150 engines, with 300 horsepower and 365 lb-ft torque. Although minor problems such as crank angle sensor problems and occasional spark plugs breaking off in the head were still present, few repairs were as costly as in previous years. Source URL
The 5.4L Triton engine is a well-known engine that has been around for a long time. It was introduced in 1997 and used in F-series vehicles through 2010. It is still available in E-series vans. Source URL

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
It was actually discontinued along with the 4.6 because Ford replaced it with the coyote. Other than the issues listed above it’s actually a very reliable motor. Like any motor it has its issues but nothing major. In ‘08 it had a head revision to eliminate spark plugs breaking off in the head due to the two piece spark plug design. Cam phasers seem to be the biggest issue that I’ve seen with those trucks and it’s not detrimental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
As stated in the report " In 2009, the 5.4-liter V8 engine improved, fixing the cam phaser problems and almost eliminating spark plug problems. " so you should be good with your year

1 - 5 of 5 Posts