Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I was just wondering whether anyone has fitted 5*7" speakers in the parcel shelf of their E-Series? I don't want to cut the parcel shelf or anything. I am asking because I know the centre seat belt will not allow 6*9" speakers to fit and I don't want to mount them on an angle. Will the 5*7s fit?

Cheers.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I have 6*9 mounted underneath, drilled a few holes to mount them, then used the original grilles to cover the holes, looks as stock as rock that way :0)

Jason

·
8 cylinder symphony
1,348 Posts
no, I havent, but I was consdering it in my fairlane, but decided against it as i wanted to keep the stock interior look (so no one knocks stuff off) i noticed the sizes vary vastly between brands (ie basket depth and width)...best is to get measurements from manufacturer then try...but you have to make sure that the housing isn't too wide to fit in the 6" hole that is already there.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, I didn't want to mount 6*9s underneath, but I may just do that. Is the sound quality affected by much?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Well not really as I am also running a sub, if I was relying on the 6*9's for the bass aspect of my system then I would feel the answer would be yes, but as my system stand at the moment, they perform perfectly and sound great.

I did this on my XF as well before I got a sub, then I said bugger it, got a 25mm thick off cut of MDF did the shelf and then cut the metal and mounted them properly, and they did sound better, but with a sub, you won't miss much, honestly ;0)

P.S. cutting the shelf is illegal, and may void your insurance.

Jason

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is why I will not cut my parcel shelf :)

I don't have a sub and don't really plan on it at the moment, so I don't know what to do!!

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
What's wrong with 6x9's on an angle? I have them fitted with spacers on an angle an I don't think they look too bad. But I guess spacers and fitting speakers on an angle isn't everybodies cup of tea.

·
Ford Nut
304 Posts
i am currently building angled pods for my 6x9s so i can put them in my fairmont without having to cut the shelf. i also have the seatbelt thingy in the way. i dont know if i will mount them straight or not yet as it will be easier to mount them on an angle because of the seat belt.

i will let you know how i get on.

btw 6'' round speakers are just as good as 5x7s anyway.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too late now! I just went out and got some Kappa 6*9s!! They were some of the top of the range speakers... I just quickly threw them in, and to be honest, they sound like shit!! LOL! There is something small going wrong, and I can't pin-point it. I've tried running them off the head unit and just an amp, but same thing. The 6"s in my door go harder... WTF gives? It may be something little. Bloody hell. I've never felt my system is up to scratch.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Sound like crap how ??

By the way the will sound better in a protected space, I.E. in the shelf properly, or mounted from underneath, free air will sound crap as you have them noe.

Jason

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Ok, maybe you accidentaly connected one of your speakers outta phase. Try switching the positive and negative on one of your speakers, and make sure to close the boot when testing em out...

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds crap as in, virtually no bass. The 6"s in the front (Pioneer) are punching out harder bass and sound louder. I even had the 6*9 run side-by-side with one if the 6s, and the 6" sounder louder... Fecked if I know. More stuffing around tonight I guess!!

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
What watts are the speakers, and how much are you driving into them?

You dont have it faded to the front, dont yell, just asking :0)

Jason

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
I'm assuming that when you had the 6*9's running next to the 6" you were just holding them in mid air next to the door? If your doing this then of course there's not gonna be any bass cause the front and rear of the speaker aren't separated. When you install speakers in your parcel shelf, the front of the speaker has to be fully isolated from the rear of the speaker (ie - no air gaps around speaker), or else your bass will cancel out.

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The speakers can handle 100wrms, whilst the amp can deliver 2*65wrms (4ohms).

Will I lose much bass if I mount them from underneath the parcel shelf?

Hopefully it's just a case of having them fixed down tightly...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Dellboy999 said:
I have 6*9 mounted underneath, drilled a few holes to mount them, then used the original grilles to cover the holes, looks as stock as rock that way :0)

Jason
Mate, I did exactly the same thing. Works a treat :thup:

Ash

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got some 18mm MDF to start my next little annoying project! I am thinking of sandwiching the 6*9s in between two pieces of 18mm MDF (one attached to the parcel shelf, and the other attaching to that piece underneath the speaker).

I don't want to mount the speakers sideways as the tweeters are set on an angle to face the front of the car.

Jason and/or Ash, could you possibly post a photo(s) from underneath your parcel shelf ASAP? I'd love to see how you've gone about it - there are so many lumps and bumps to go around!

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
personal opinion:
6" speakers will be better quality then 5x7" in general (can't get better then a circle)
6x9 only if no plans for sub, would still consider 6".

thats about all i have to say :)

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
would it be considered illegal rolling the edges of the 6" holes? that way i can mount my new 6.5" speakers close underneath the shelf doing the hole drill bit. (R series alpines for 180 bucks)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts