Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this 1996 351W back together from a block, and have had this problem with the valve train since putting it back together. NOISE. Clackety Clackety Clack. I put in new lifter rods, hydraulic roller lifters, new rockers, new valves, the whole 9. Noisy as heck.

I'm on a hunt to find out if they're getting enough oil. I have the valve covers off and am turning the engine by the starter motor, and no oil is coming out of the push rods, but the valves themselves (after running the engine a few 1000 miles) do have oil in their cups. Not a lot, but some. When I put the engine together, I primed the oil pump with my drill and back THEN I saw oil come out of the lifter rods. But it's not coming out right now. Not at engine crank speed.

... should it be coming out?

The lifters all appear "pumped up", there is literally no space between any of the lifters and the valve stems. I don't know how long it takes for them to go back down, but currently they're all lifted.

video:

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
I would say it should. Is your distributor fully engaged to your oil pump? I'd pull it and use your drill, slowly at first and see how long before oil starts to flow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got an air drill and put it into reverse, fired it up, no oil coming out of the lifters. It used to when I put the engine together. A camshaft bearing must have disintegrated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts