Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a ford internet site a couple of days ago a cheap way of converting from 4 to 5 lug. The writer said to get two driver's side axle shafts from a late model ford ranger with an 8.8 rear end and the 10 inch brake drums for the same. The front was 11 inch rotors from a mark vii. The problem I am having is everyone that I call wants rear end numbers off of the tag on the rear end housing of the ranger. I try to explain that there is no ranger! I want to order these axles to put in a mustang. The writer claims that the ranger axles (driver side only) are the proper length and have the same splines. If anyone knows that all of this is true and works do you have part numbers for the axles? I am doing this for a Christmas present for my son and need some answers fast. Please help. Thanks alot----mustangjon

·
Administrator
5,157 Posts
Hi and welcome mustangjon.I'm afraid i can't help with this one but i hope someone on the site can.I guess you are getting these from a wrecking yard.Can you take one of your axles in so you can make a comparison.Splines and length etc.

·
cougar/bulletbird member
74 Posts
yes it is true! i can never remember which one it is but the axle you need fits aerostar/windstar, and ranger (and they all had 7.5 rears by the way, but the axles are the same for 7.5 and 8.8). just take your old one to a wrecker and have them get the ones the same length (make sure the bearing area is OK). also if you want big back brakes you can use the aerostar brakes as they bolt right on and are 10 X 2 1/2. to put the brakes on you only need a brake line adapter from the local auto parts store. i have done this and it works well. for the front brakes you should use ranger/aerostar rotors as well but you will need different wheel bearings. just go to a good auto parts store and explain what you are doing and they can get you the right bearings to fit the O/D of the ranger hub and the I/D of the mustang spindle. if you are using new replacement rotors you may find that the caliper rubs a little on the hat part of the rotor. if it rubs mark the area where there is contact and take it to someone with a brake lathe and they can cut it off (it doesn't take much). i would be happy to sell you all the parts if you so desire (always looking to make a buck you know!) but this is one you can do with a little legwork. where are you located and what year car are you working on? i have a complete 8.8 with 3.27 trac loc and 5 lug big brakes for 450.00 or 8.8 with 3.54 trac loc and 5 lug big brakes for 550.00 but shipping would suck and i am on the west coast south of san jose. thanks, hawkrod

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hawkrod for your reply. I found a wrecking yard in Atlanta that specializes in Mustangs. Everything is inside! They have kits made up for this conversion. The rear kit has the axles, brake drums and bearings. The cost was 225 green ones including shipping. Needless to say I jumped on it. I found out that 1988 Lincoln Mark VIII front rotors fit perfect. Uses same bearings and grease seal. They are a little more expensive than standard rotors because of the built in stator for the anti-locks. Thanks again for your help----Mustangjon By the way I'm in Cincinnati you know the land of the fabulous fearless BENGALS!!! HA

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello i want to do this conversion to my mustang too. but I have a 3:27 locker rear end out of an 85 ltd2 in my car. 7.5 inch rear with 10 inch brakes. can i still use the same axles.please help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts