Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on a trip, I got the dreaded Engine Light! I used the Code Reader and it come up as a MisFire #5. This is the third time on this plug. I stopped in at a garage in a small town and the Mechanic I spoke with told me that if this is the third time, he said I was most probably looking a a valve job. I left and returned home and took it to them.....without mentioning talking to the other Mechanic - they said their records showed this would be the third time on five, and that #7 had been changed out twice. They recommended changing out the plug and unloading the vehicle, unless I was ready to put out some heavy money. They reminded me of their comment they put on the Bill once (don't wash the engine) Can I get any suggestions about this situation....I am leaning towards getting rid of it, we have other vehicles, so it doesn't become a "have to." Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I would have made contact sooner, but got logged out of the Forum....and played the run your head into a wall getting it straightened out. I am hoping the things you recommend can bring it in so as to keep it - one heck of a ride. I checked my Work Orders, the last time they changed out the plug and coil, but I will have them put another in. Ron

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Could also be a bad injector at that cylinder. You could switch injectors from another cylinder and see if the misfire moves to the donor cylinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: i received a call from the mechanic who is going to go over the Nav. He said he had looked at the previous work orders....and he said he believes it is an injector, but will also check the coil, it was new, but he laughed and said they do fail. He is the one who uses the impact wrench to pull the plugs. I will keep you updated when they finish up - one way or the other. Again, thanks for the recommendations, Ron.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just picked up my Navigator this afternoon. As it turns out, they had to replace two hoses, that they had to order; they said that was causing the "water" in the misfire on #5. They also replaced all Injectors, and all new coils (apparently there is some pack where you get all new). They took it out for a couple of runs, and then I got it back.....what a difference - hell, it is going up the hills now, ha! Really appreciate all the recommendations, it makes it easier when I have a vague notion of what could be wrong. Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts