Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not worried about HOW to do a 5spd conversion (for now), what I'm interested in, is who has done this, and was it successful, unsuccessful, problem causing?

I can think of 3-4 people off the top of my head who've had at least some minor issues after doing the conversion, so I'm just wondering if anyone has done it without any problems? Has anyone paid someone to do it, and if so, did that go over a lot smoother?

Thanks,

James

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
paid a wrecker to do it. cost me heaps. but no probs. (well one prob, was when i got the speed sender replaced, as it turned out i didnt have to, they didnt tighten it up enough and the gbox leaked a bit o oil onto the exhaust)

transformed the car tho. it's a beast now. best thing you could ever do to an e series falcon. (or au, even)

·
Wannabe mechanic :)
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I've been told $1300 for a wrecker to do it.. given that without excessive shopping around, I'm up for at least $1000 in parts anyway, I figure, why not :p

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
^when i say no probs, i mean no mechanical issues. note that i went through a tank o juice in less then 300 kays(i guess coz i was having so much fun... wait a sec... my economy has been like that ever since!!)

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
yeah prices can vary depending obviously on what you gte done.

I have a conversion set for a couple of months..ive been going aorund getting prices. The first place, a wreckers, wanted $1500 to do the lot. Which I thought was a fair deal. Although I dont know these guys very well so who knows whats going in.

Second place was a trusted family garage, he called some plce up to get a parts qoute, $820 for most parts, then ontop of that he said that he would recommend a new clutch and machined flywheel. So all up parts aloone come to about $1100, then he wanted $800 for labour.

It all depends on who you know, shop around though, takes a while but its well worth it.

God Damn I cant wait!!

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
i'm gonna get mine done by the joint next to my dad's work they're pretty good friends with my dad so ill get it done cheap

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Problems with mine: we forgot the clutch return spring and actually covered the punch out in the firewll for it with the firewall mod. I was drivin round and kept hearin this ticking. Sounded so much like a lifter. I finally worked out it was clutch related when i noticed it went away when the clutch was engaged. Not having the return spring put a bit of slack in the clutch cable and subsequently the throwout arm vibrated in the metal cover on the side of the bell housing. The onnly other issue is some running issues I think is related to having the auto puter (even though it is V8 and they have a sepperate auto ecu). I got told of a wee trick which I'm going to try sometime soon which might over come this

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
i tell ya what mate the difference between my manual xr6 and my parents auto EF XR6 is astonishing, theyre totally different beasts... the manual is soo much more aggresive and responsive... i really hope u do it, u wont regret it!!!

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
I paid $600 in parts, $300 in labour and a further $300 in miscellaneous expenses like a new clutch.

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
I've converted both an EA and my EB. It is one of the best mods for the E-Series! The EA conversion turned out to be a bit of a disaster as I was sold a dodgy box which ended up stripping the teeth on the layshaft so I lost drive in all gears.

But the EB has been sweet as! Its got an EA box in it running a 4spd auto ECU. I haven't had any troubles with idle except when I first had the box in, after a while it just idled normally.

It's really hard to know whether your getting a good box or not until it's actually in the car. I guess the only real check you can do is hold the input shaft and get an old yoke and stick it in the other end turn them in opposite directions to make sure there is not a lot of play in the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts