Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Dudes, could any of you guys recommend a transmission establishment capable of an EA auto to manual conversion?
Cheers. Fords Rule!

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing putting me of doing the conversion myself is just getting the gearbox out & in. unless ofcourse i take the engine out also.

·
8 cylinder symphony
1,348 Posts
do a search through some of the other threads....I think a tech article was written giving you a step by step guide as well...

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know changing from a 3 speed auto to a 5 speed manual a different drive shaft is needed, but with mine being a wagon will i need to do the same? Just a 4/5speed wagon drive shaft?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
A different drive shaft is not needed. I have done two or three and have not used one yet.

Alex

·
Formerly EAII_Fairmont
917 Posts
mongrelEB is correct, I too have done the conversion twice and not needed a different drive shaft. My EA went from 4spd > 5spd > 3spd and I used exactly the same shaft.

Whether you do it yourself or get someone to do it, my biggest recommendation is DO NOT get a 2nd hand box unless you know the history of it/test drive it. Both conversions I have done used 2nd hand boxes and both blew up with in 3 months. It may be more initial outlay of money to get a reco box, but trust me.....it'll save you a lot in the long run!!!

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone name any places to do a 5speed conversion in SA?
Whats a resonable price? At least $1000?
Cheers.

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
Ive heard a few times it costs around $1500
Dunno where u can go for it but...

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Try Althol Park Ford Wreckers, they may do it for you.

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
If you get a mechanic to do it, expect to pay closer to $2000. I know my mechanic charges me $55 an hour when I get him to do work for me. Some charge as much as $66 an hour. As far as I'm aware, a manual conversion should take an entire day to complete...Better off doing it yourself, or finding a friend who can do it for you for cheap.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
Nah I doubt it'll cost anywere near $2000. More like $1000-$1400 region. If someone quotes you $2000, I will not be going back there ever again!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts