Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
being that its a manual best solution would be to go to a wreckers and get a high series instrument cluster (the dash insert that includes the tacho)

fordmods.com has a guide on the conversion i believe.

·
Mechanical Dumbass
228 Posts
i had the same problem when i only had the poverty instrument clutser, when i installed new one with tacho i realised must have been real close to rev limiter (5500rpm) quite often! its hard for me to tell you an exact speed for each gear when you hit redline because i have a digital cluster and it jumps numbers, but it would be around 50kph for first, 90kph for second, and 145 for 3rd. 2nd gear will actually reach 100 but it is right on the limiter so its not advisable to be doing that all day long

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
ive got an ED 6 cyl manual with a 3.27 diff. In first 60km/h is approx 5k rpm , second around 93kmh @ 5k rpm.....3rd , 4th & 5th i have no idea becasue im trying to keep my eyes on the road :p

As i said those figures are very approx but its around there....\

hope that helps a bit...
james

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
ahh funky falcon beat me to it!
Have you actualy had your engine bounce off the limiter F_F? What rpm does it come it at? ive had mine a 5.5k and no limiter....?

James

·
Fu(kn Slow & Low
479 Posts
ive had mine to 5600 mines auto though, ea-ed i heard didnt have a limiter, thats just as fast as the engine can spin over, that was while i was doing a u-turn and smoking it up the street.... :D no matter how many times ive tried to get over 5600rpm you just cant. its advisable not to go past say 5000rpm were the actual factory redline is. there also aint any point considering peak power is some were between 4000rpm and 4250rpm. but i still hit 5g before i shift into second when dragging.

·
Mechanical Dumbass
228 Posts
when i was g-teching 0 - 100 i was watching the tacho and as soon as it touched 5500 it hit the limiter. It kind of scared me beacuse i was expecting the limiter to bounce off and on real quick like what ive seen/heard on mad skylines, it wasnt really like that it was more of a jolt as if the engine is saying "WTF ARE YA TRYING TO DO TO ME" and i went straight to 3rd (was already about to change anyway) i didnt want to hang around lol.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
yeah 5600 is whats on my ea, altough it can jump to 6000 before coming back down sometimes. especially in the wet!

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
well i was meesin round today and i found my car does 109kmph at 3000 rpm in fourth and 100kmph at 2350rpm..... so 4700 in 5th would be 200kays and if u could manage 5500rpm u would be doing 234kmph, saying that 220 at a bit under 5200 rpm would be realistic! ill have to test my maths out... whatyas reckon :s6:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took my car to 220km/h 3 days ago. It's an EA with EB 4.0L and 5 Speed Manual, i get 60 in first, 105 in 2nd, 170 in 3rd, off the clock in 4th. never got to 5th as i had a big adrenaline rush and had to slow down and pull over. 220 is damn fast i say!

·
Mechanical Dumbass
228 Posts
EVL-TE is that with the EA diff in their or did you change to the EB 4.0L one? the first two gears sound about right for the 3.27 ratio but i cant get even close to 170 in 3rd. i was at 150 in 3rd yesterday doing a qtr run and it was at 5400rpm. after a couple of goes i realised it was about the same speed/time (maybe slightly quicker even) changing into 4th at 4500rpm. But then again my car is lacking top end. The "private road" i do this at isnt long enough to test top speed :BW:

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
to do 220 in fourth sounds like he has a lower diff ratio than 3.27??? somethin more like 3.08 or whatever they are!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Haha, i should've put the diff ratio down, shouldn't i? it's the EA 2.92:1 Open wheel diff, i will be going 3.23:1 LSD soon though,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx - and a cool page...

Thx for help guys.

BTW - I found this nifty little page last night at
http://davewin.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml
where you punch in ratios etc and it gives you km/h. From posts here, seems like it's reasonably accurate.

For mine, (std ED ratios, 24 in, @5000RPM) it ends up with:
1st 54 km/h
2nd 88 km/h
3rd 135 km/h
4th 175 km/h
5th 243 km/h
I guess I don't really need to worry about 3rd, 4th and 5th...

Sounds like I've been treating my car pretty gently. I'd been shifting in the mid 40s and 70s - from playing with the rpm figures on that page that's only about 4200rpm!
Woohoo! I guess I get some free kw ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts