Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of transmission lube does my tranny use? Stupid question, maybe, but I'll be darned if I can find anything in my Chilton's Manual that tells me. I just bought the truck and want to change all the fluids. Also, where's the fill plug?

Any help?

Jim

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
What year?

Should be an 80W-90 Gear oil for the Manual tranny (as long as it's not a Ranger). Usually there will be two plugs on the side of the tranny. One right above the other. The bottom one is the Drain Plug, where you would drain the tranny, and the top one is the fill plug where you put the fluid in. You want to fill up the tranny until the gear oil starts coming out the top hole. Then plug it back up and you're done!

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Trey!

If the weather holds for another week, I'll be tackling this project! If we get snow, I'll have a shop do it. Got any idea how many pints/quarts it holds?

Jim

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Sorry, I don't have that info available. My books only go to mid 90's as far as how much it should hold. Typically though, I would grab 4 quarts, dunno if you'll use all of em, but it's better to be saef and get too much than not have enough in the middle of the job.

Just make sure you fill it so it starts coming back out of the fill hole. That way, you know youve got it at the right level.:hy:

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 1991 F-250 Custom, with a 5.8L motor.

So, the same gear oil that goes into rear ends also is used in manual tranny's????

Thanks for all your help!

Jim

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chilton's says ATF?

I just found the section in my chilton's manual which says all 4-speed manuals take 85-90 Gear oil, and all 5-speed Manuals take DextonII ATF!!!! ????

ATF in a MANUAL TRANNY???????

Any help?

Jim

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Ok....after more research, this is what I found out.

There are 2 different manual 5 speed trannies that were used from 1988 to 1993.

The Mazda tranny (typeRZ) used 3.6 Liters of MerconIII/Dexron (ATF)
and the other tranny;
The Mistubishi (typeZF) used 3.2 Liters of 80W-90 Gear Oil.

Sooo....not knowing which tranny you have, it seems that the best way to know is to open it up and let it drain out. ATF will come out a red color(or brownish and easy flowing if burnt) and have a much milder smell than Gear Oil which comes out thick and slowly.

Humph....fun eh?

·
F-250 Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,Trey!

I changed the fluid this afternoon. It is the Mazda type, so a little less than a gallon of Mercon ATF and it's done! Boy, was it dirty!

Say, did you see my post about dualie's on my F-250? I'd appreciate your input!

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.