Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the clutch in my 91 explorer 5 speed. I need to disconnect the shift lever. the book says "remove the bolt and pull the shift lever off" The problem is there is a nut that is threaded onto a stud, which holds the shift lever on. I gopt the nut off no problem, but the stud wont budge no matter how I tackle it. I have tried penetrating fluid, a torch, etc, with a vice grip. the threads are now buggered on the one end, so it will be junk if I ever do get it out, but I cant get it. any info? I have the trans sitting unbolted and ready to come out, but this one thing is holding up the show! :AAHHH: There are also 3 torx bolts that hold the shift mechanism into the interior of the trans. can I just remove the whole deal there?

Thanks
Craig :wnc:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

Did you ever get an answer to this, or is that Explorer still sitting in your garage? I have exactly the same problem and would love to know how you solved it?

- Nelson Moore

MXdad said:
I am replacing the clutch in my 91 explorer 5 speed. I need to disconnect the shift lever. the book says "remove the bolt and pull the shift lever off" The problem is there is a nut that is threaded onto a stud, which holds the shift lever on. I gopt the nut off no problem, but the stud wont budge no matter how I tackle it. I have tried penetrating fluid, a torch, etc, with a vice grip. the threads are now buggered on the one end, so it will be junk if I ever do get it out, but I cant get it. any info? I have the trans sitting unbolted and ready to come out, but this one thing is holding up the show! :AAHHH: There are also 3 torx bolts that hold the shift mechanism into the interior of the trans. can I just remove the whole deal there?

Thanks
Craig :wnc:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts