Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a stupid question (knowing there are very limited options for poor mans medium riser heads) what kind of work would the machine shop do to prepare these heads for bigger valves . I did some internet research got a photo off internet images of a medium riser head intake port w/measurement then I took a photo out in the garage of the intake I bought off craigslist 575 2143 casting number from a 1958 or 59 fe 352 or 332. yes I do see wide open spaces on the internet images medium riser pic they are big . (take note he is cheating on his measurement just slightly) the old edsel heads don't seem too far behind. What I'm concidering is to do the port and polishing in my own garage and maybe have the machine shop prepare these for bigger valves. is this dewable? when I compare the pics it seems like a little utube port and polishing and some unknown costs at the machine shop would be competitive . can someone out there help open my awareness to this project. thanks for any comment or advise.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,800 Posts
Porting and polishing primarily takes place in the throat above the valve. The rest of the runner being smoothed out does help with the flow but the primary gain is smoothing out the rough casting above the valve port. Any significant increase in the valve itself is determined by the head, itself. Typically, older heads can get an increase in size, but the space between the intake and exhaust determine how much you can increase the valve.

Beginner's Port and Polishing: 6 Steps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts