Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What or why does Ford not know how to put a stop to this problem. I have had 3 turbo replacemnets in 12000 miles. They changed the type turbo, but I found someone who has ahd 6 changed with 2 of the new. I only got 1000 or less miles on the last one. Fords only comment is it will honor 100000 mi warranty as many times as it takes till it is reached. Does anyone know anything on this subject as we are stumped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have burned up two engines because or failed turbo bearings. Both times
I had noticed and just replaced clogged fuel filters.(pulling 15000 lb load)
I suspect that a clogged filter would cause engine to run lean. If I remember correctly a lean running engine would run HOT. (am I correct?) Hotter than normal exhaust would logically stress turbo bearings. The damn Ford fuel filters are expensive but so is engine replacement.I plan to be more responsible about this in the future. It's just a hunch but it's the only clue I have. Ford has nothing to say about this that I can find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We try to change filters pretty often because we run distances and can pick up water. I do not know if that is it. An online mechanic told me tro have the PCM control of the VGT ebp map maf checked said there is something causing the turbos to go down. Have not yet, he told me yesterday on ford truck enthusist.com I am on 3 different sites trying to find what ford can not seem to find. Let me know if you find something else.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I apologize in advance for insulting your intelligence if you are not among them, but there are some true idiots in this world.

Are you letting the engine idle for a minute or so (normal use) or up to 10 minutes (heavy hauling, or any time you're running more than a brief shot with high boost - 20 psi or higher) before shutting it off?

I've seen people pull off the freeway into a truck stop and shut it off with no cool-down idle period..... a sure way to toast turbo bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts