Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my american friends (okay, my only american friend!) says ford US are developing a new (or at least an evolution of the current) v8. It will be for use in F series trucks and navigator/explorer and rear drive crown victoria etc. He says it is not that secret and should be out in early 2006. I remember reading in MOTOR or WHEELS that a new or improved eight would be out soon.

It will (speculation only) have a shorter stroke and bigger bore. the current modular v8 only has the small bore because it was designed to fit into front and rear drive applications? (don't know where i heard this but feel free to shoot me down on that one).

A brisbane ford salesman (so he is probably lying, because hey are the last to know) reckons a 6.1 or 6.2 v8 will be out next year in an updated BF GT/xr8. heard anything on this.

·
Horse-Power Hungry
215 Posts
I think the way pertrol prices are going the big capacity V8's are going to struggle. I fill up twice a week and it's costing me an extra $50 weekly, starting to reconsider if the next will be a v8?????

Wonder if this will start reflecting in sales of the V8's soon

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm assuming you're referring to the 'hurricane' project that ford US was developing, which was a 6.2L V8.......that was cancelled months ago.
Unless you're talkin about a totally different engine program, which i hope you are, but highly doubt it.

·
Magnificence in Motion
318 Posts
boss 8 said:
I think the way pertrol prices are going the big capacity V8's are going to struggle. I fill up twice a week and it's costing me an extra $50 weekly, starting to reconsider if the next will be a v8?????

Large car sales are dropping quickly. I would presume 8's are suffering the most.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK I'm not a greenie or a tree hugging hippy or anything, but i really think it's time the big 4 started taking decent amounts out of their unleaded petrol internal combustion engine development programs and started putting it towards newer technologies. Most industry people say hybrid is a temporary technology, so IMHO Ford should skip it completely and move on to Hydrogen power. Petrol isn't going to get cheaper, and it's not going to last forever. V8s will always have a place, but it's getting that people can't afford them. 6.2l??? - they'd be completely silly to develop anything like it in the current oil climate...

·
Registered
30 Posts
imugli said:
OK I'm not a greenie or a tree hugging hippy or anything, but i really think it's time the big 4 started taking decent amounts out of their unleaded petrol internal combustion engine development programs and started putting it towards newer technologies. Most industry people say hybrid is a temporary technology, so IMHO Ford should skip it completely and move on to Hydrogen power. Petrol isn't going to get cheaper, and it's not going to last forever. V8s will always have a place, but it's getting that people can't afford them. 6.2l??? - they'd be completely silly to develop anything like it in the current oil climate...
Like i said, if this is the 'hurricane' project that ford was building, then they cancelled in ages ago since ford US believe that this big V8 lust that people are having is just a temporary fad. They cancelled it also to put more effort on their next-gen V6... yes its not a hydrogen engine, but at least its not a big ass 6L+ V8. I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s

·
Registered
170 Posts
McobraR said:
I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s
Couldn't agree more. If they were smart, they'd ship our I6 over there amd put the money into something a lot more worthwile and a lot more likely to deliver financial gains over the long term.

·
Magnificence in Motion
318 Posts
imugli said:
Exactly, skip the hybrid con and go straight to hydrogen it's where the world is going to end up so get on with it!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
McobraR said:
Like i said, if this is the 'hurricane' project that ford was building, then they cancelled in ages ago since ford US believe that this big V8 lust that people are having is just a temporary fad. They cancelled it also to put more effort on their next-gen V6... yes its not a hydrogen engine, but at least its not a big ass 6L+ V8. I still think Ford US is wasting their time, their next-gen V6 will most likely have less power and torque than our I6, sheesh our I6 even has more power and torque than some of their V8s
The only reason they didn't go on with it was because they didn't want to spend the development dollars on it. Ford US is struggling and non essential programmes can't get the funding because of this cost cutting. It was cancelled before petrol prices started going through the roof so it probably happened at the right time for them but a 6.2 litre GT would have been sweet.
Agree with you about Ford V6's, they are pretty weak.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If people actually look the yanks are paying about 30-4ocents p/l for fuel. Something like 4o% of our fuel bill is government taxes.

·
Registered
917 Posts
XcelR8 said:
Exactly, skip the hybrid con and go straight to hydrogen it's where the world is going to end up so get on with it!
Hydrogen wont happen , its hard to transport and difficult to transport , I do however expect many more lpg conversion this year .

·
Registered
55 Posts
bossxr8 said:
i Agree with you about Ford V6's, they are pretty weak.
Yeah i reckon the ford V6's are weak as, on a similar note so is the Mustang GT. Correct me if i'm wrong but it only has 220Kw, and not that much torque. It makes me feel proud to think that Ford australia is manufacturing world calss I6's and V8's. If Ford US wants to make the Mustang GT a real bruiser, then maybe they should contact FPV and order some Boss 290 engines.
Or what about exporting the XR6T/ Typhoon as a 'world car' (world car is a term for a car that suits most car markets around the world, ie;corolla, Toyota camry, only a performance car) .

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
XlR8_22 said:
Yeah i reckon the ford V6's are weak as, on a similar note so is the Mustang GT. Correct me if i'm wrong but it only has 220Kw, and not that much torque. It makes me feel proud to think that Ford australia is manufacturing world calss I6's and V8's. If Ford US wants to make the Mustang GT a real bruiser, then maybe they should contact FPV and order some Boss 290 engines.
Or what about exporting the XR6T/ Typhoon as a 'world car' (world car is a term for a car that suits most car markets around the world, ie;corolla, Toyota camry, only a performance car) .
The Mustang GT is still pretty quick for a 4.6 litre, being over 200kgs lighter than an XR8 means it can still run low 14's pretty easily. For more grunt they have the 5.4 litre supercharged V8 for the Mustang GT500 due late next year.

·
falcongt4me
17 Posts
boss 8 said:

Dont be fooled by the propoganda! Who thought back in the 80's that we'd be still driving around in V8's in 2005 with more kw than a Phase3?! Or for that matter be still driving cars and not spaceship thingys?
There is more oil in the world than we can excrete in a lifetime. We just get fed the crap that makes us believe that its running out so that they can justify putting up the price!
Ford and Holden arent' investing mega $ into their respective V8 programs to have them lose $ for them.
The world market will settle and although petrol prices won't return to less than $1/litre (what has?) it will stabilise and we will cope!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well from my last post i said how crap Ford US' next-gen V6 was going to be. They just unveiled a new V6 and im assuming this is that next-gen engine:

ENGINE
Type 3.5L DOHC 24-valve V-6
Manufacturing Location Lima Engine Plant, Ohio
Configuration 60-degree V-6, aluminum block and heads
Intake Manifold Composite, slit plenum
Exhaust Manifold Cast iron
Crankshaft Forged steel
Redline 6700 rpm
Throttle Body 65mm, electronic
Valvetrain DAMB, 4 valves per cylinder, intake variable camshaft timing
Valve Diameter Intake: 37mm Exhaust: 31 mm
Pistons High temperature cast aluminum alloy with low-friction coated skirts, low-tension rings
Connecting Rods Cracked-powder metal
Ignition Pencil coil
Bore x Stroke 3.6 x 3.4 in/92.5 x 86.7 mm
Displacement 213 cu in/3.496 cc
Compression Ratio 10:03:01
Horsepower 250 @ 6250 rpm (estimated)
Horsepower per Liter 71.5 (estimated)
Torque 240 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm (estimated)
Recommended Fuel 87 Octane
Fuel Capacity 20 gallons
Fuel Injection Sequential multiport fuel injection
Oil Capacity 5.5 quarts, with filter
Recommended Oil GF4, 5W-20

At its current state our I6 easily puts out more power and murders it on torque. Personally i think its pretty good, considering it has an aluminium block, that the engine can easily push out 300hp and 280lb of torque (thats 223.5kw and 385nm), and that it was designed to support turbocharging and direct injection (future XR6T?). (more info of the engine can be found in: http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=123762
Do you guys think this will replace our ageing 4.0L I6?
I seriously wouldnt mind seeing this in the next falcon, but realistically, i'd have to say no. Mainly cus Ford Aus has always been talking about how aussies love low down torque, and by looking at the specs, the new V6 lacks the torque that our current I6 has. Also was it me or did i read somewhere that an aftermarket tuner managed to push 240kw from the I6 while leaving it naturally aspirated? i think theres more life left in our I6, but well done to Ford US in making a real V6. Now wheres that real V8.......

·
Registered
118 Posts
boss 8 said:

I still think that even with petrol prices the way they are people are still going to get v8's. cos the way i see it if you can afford the big bucks for a GT (which everyone is saying this motor would go in if it does exist!!) you can afford the petrol to go with it too. Its like the $1200 or whatever it is pad change if you have brembos. So my point is we all know there is a lot of ppl out there with lots of cash to spend and if theyre spending 50 grand plus on a performance car i dont think fuel price will be too much worry. Thats just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts